Butter From Sam's Club?

Baking By CarolinaBelle Updated 15 Sep 2006 , 4:24am by Narie

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 2:14am
post #1 of 17

Anyone ever use the butter that is sold in large packages at Sam's?
I just saw it the other day and it is much cheaper than the name brand. I plan to give it a try and was wondering if any of you have used it before.

16 replies
rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 3:04am
post #2 of 17

If you are talking about the 4 pack of 1 lb each, I have tried both the salted sticks and unsalted solid ones with success. I buy it in quantity when the price is lowest and freeze them.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 3:12am
post #3 of 17

I totally agree with rezzycakes.

The butter is good and I also buy and freeze.

If you need really white butter, though, I would buy Land of Lakes.

HTH

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 3:20am
post #4 of 17

I use Alta Dena ( here is So. Calif) sweetened, unsalted butter for really white frosting. It's amazing. If you have a Smart and Final near you, it's the best place to buy it...sooooo much cheaper than in the market.

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 17

I also can vouch for the butter at Sam's. I buy in bulk, freeze and thaw as needed w/ no problems in quality.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 17

I wondered about freezing butter...thanks for the tip. Has anyone tried freezing sour cream?

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 17

Thank you for the replies everyone. I didn't know that you could freeze butter. Thanks for the tip.

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 17

I have tried to freeze sour cream.........it doesn't work.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks Marksgirl. I figured it would get all watery and not work, but thought it was worth a shot.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 17

I've bought it and love the price...it's the cheapest I've found and haven't noticed any difference between the butter from Sam's vs other stores.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 17

I freeze both butter and margarine w/ no noticeable difference in the thawed out product.

Can't say the same for sour cream....yuck! Don't freeze it! icon_smile.gif

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 8:17pm
post #12 of 17

I buy the Costco butter and the price is so low, it's unbelievable. I get great results.

A friend asked me to help her plan to do a cake for her brother's wedding in another state. She used all my recipes and flew there where her Dad had bought all the ingredients. I told her 5 times to have him buy the butter at costco, so I was surprised when she asked if all the supplies and ingredients should have cost $250!!!!!!!. I could do the same cake for $80-100.

Of course, he bought the butter at albertson's or some supermarket. I imagine he spent $3.99/lb instead of $1.50. Not only that, he had bought salted butter, and they had to return to the store to exchange it for unsalted.

I freeze the butter also.

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 11:22pm
post #13 of 17

i too buy butter at sam's its a nice light yellow color, doesn't turn my icing too yellow- of course i use part crisco part butter icon_razz.gif

cmcgarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmcgarr Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 11:41pm
post #14 of 17

I love reading about how much you are all paying for your supplies (cake mixes, butter, icing, cake boards, etc.). It really upsets me though because here in Ontario (mostly the GTA), the Costcos and Sam's Clubs don't sell cake boards, icing, or cake mixes, and the cheapest butter I've found (Costco) is $3.55/pound. Making cakes here can be quite costly... The local Wal-Mart sells its cheapest cake mix (BC) for $1.77, while in the grocery stores, its $2.50 a box. I want to cry when I see people on here buying cake mix for $.99 or butter under $2.00! icon_cry.gif

My boyfriend is moving to the States next month, so when I visit him, I'm going to go CRAZY buying cake supplies! They probably won't let me cross the boarder back to Canada!

It's such a shocker to see how much things cost in different areas of North America. But please keep posting them... I like the pain icon_razz.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 1:35am
post #15 of 17

Piggly Wiggly in Hartland WI had generic salted or unsalted butter 2/$3.00, that's $1.50/pound. I grabbed two and my husband goes "don't you already have alot of butter at home", well yeah but I can freeze butter.
DH "Oh, I didn't know that...Well, I guess it's ok for you to buy the butter."

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 4:12am
post #16 of 17

Regardless of brand name, if it doesn't specify "sweet cream" butter on the label I won't buy it. I won't gross yall out with why. Suffice it to say the government mandates fresh milk be used in order to qualify for the "sweet cream" label.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 4:24am
post #17 of 17

I take you mean all the stuff that gets dumped into chocolate ice cream? My brother worked at the dairy as a teen, and he still refuses to eat chocolate ice cream and he's pushing 60 now. He buys vanilla and adds chocolate syrup and makes a chocolate mush out of it. Vanilla ice cream got the good stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%