Cheap, Ungrateful Bridezilla! Venting!

Decorating By ShabbyChic_Confections Updated 9 Sep 2006 , 8:17pm by sueco

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 1:58pm
post #31 of 39

At my age, I always think nothing can shock me anymore. And yet, I never ceased to be totally taken aback by the selfish behaviour of others. Especially to those who have given the most.

You and your husband are definately among the "peacemakers" of this earth.
But I also agree with you, next time no more free cake. Being Good, kindhearted, generous people doesn't mean you should be doormats.

In my opinion, this little tart was lucky-very lucky- to have a minister and a wedding cake the next day at her wedding.

I don't think I would have bothered to show up! icon_mad.gif

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 2:12pm
post #32 of 39

OK..... I think every bad thing I wanted to say about this girl has already been covered (hehe , thanx guys!) so...do we get to see a pic of the cake? Now I am gonna duck and hide... icon_lol.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 2:31pm
post #33 of 39

To respond to the "No More Free Cake" comment I made, I've been very very lucky (and I know it!) that I haven't really been asked to make a cake "for free". I've made them for cost..... or even under cost probably - but either way SOME payment has been made. For example, my mom will buy me a lot of ingredients, so if she wants the cake afterwards for something she's doing, I always say "sure, but save me a piece so I can taste it." A lot of my baking right now is for taste anyway so I want to see what hte final product actually tastes like!

I have done 2 cakes for "free" but they were more as gifts to a close family friend for a graduation and a birthday. I know they can't afford my cakes either so I just did it as "my gift". I think it beats going out and spending $20 on some stupid stuffed animal or other cheesy "graduation" or birthday thing.... plus it gives me practice - AND I usually get a piece too icon_smile.gif For taste testing & quality control of course! icon_smile.gif

I do always ask someone HOW many people and WHAT their budget is first..... then I let them know what is possible in my opinion...... I haven't run into anyone w/ absolute champagne tastes on a minimal budget yet - but I'm sure I will. I have run into people who just want me to "do a cake" - meaning "make us a sheet cake and don't put a lot of work into it but we want to pay you and support you" - which is all fine and dandy - but I don't want to make people some crappy cake that I just slopped some icing on and didn't really take any time on - that's not the point - and I've said that before too.

I've also been asked why my cake is more than a Sam's Club or Wal-mart cake and I also say that those kinds of places can afford to buy products such as eggs, butter, cake mixes or flour, sugar, etc. in bulk and their costs will always be less b/c of this. They are also able to sell more b/c they have a larger staff that can crank cakes out - and their cakes are mostly frozen cakes anyway, so all they are REALLY paying for is some icing mix and the decorator's time...... I put MUCh more into my cakes and my costs are more - therefore the cakes are more - but you get a better quality cake with customization and made with love icon_smile.gif

So anyway - there's my 2 cents to add icon_smile.gif

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 2:42pm
post #34 of 39

I will post the picture as soon as my SIL send it to me, that day I forgot my digital camara and my cell phone too. icon_sad.gif

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 4:23pm
post #35 of 39

Just food for thought and I could be way off, but maybe there's some preconceived (false) notion that on 'the big day' or surrounding the big day, the bride (and other organizers in the family) have licence to be nasty as the stress level is high? I'm in no way, shape or form, supporting that notion. I put out that theory because I've heard women say that when they're on their period- like yeah I'm allowed to treat you like shit because I'm PMSing so I don't have to be responsible for what comes out of my mouth icon_rolleyes.gif
Well ya can tell I don't believe that either (and this coming from someone who can break down into tears at the slightest anything once a month lol)- as I say it's not like nobody has ever gotten married/their period before and they didnt see the stress coming- you prepare for it. SHEESH

cheffie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheffie Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 4:24pm
post #36 of 39

You and your DH will be rewarded big time for whaty you did. I couldnt have been so quiet about it. There is one thing that I cannot and WILL NOT TOLERATE icon_mad.gif is IGNORANT icon_mad.gif RUDE icon_mad.gif PEOPLE. Everything seems to happen for a reason and someone (look up way way up) was testing you and you passed with flying colors!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Cheffie icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 4:37pm
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanspitfire

Just food for thought and I could be way off, but maybe there's some preconceived (false) notion that on 'the big day' or surrounding the big day, the bride (and other organizers in the family) have licence to be nasty as the stress level is high? I'm in no way, shape or form, supporting that notion. I put out that theory because I've heard women say that when they're on their period- like yeah I'm allowed to treat you like sh** because I'm PMSing so I don't have to be responsible for what comes out of my mouth icon_rolleyes.gif
Well ya can tell I don't believe that either (and this coming from someone who can break down into tears at the slightest anything once a month lol)- as I say it's not like nobody has ever gotten married/their period before and they didnt see the stress coming- you prepare for it. SHEESH

14 years ago, when I got married, had I had that attitude I would have been shot, hung, and dismembered! But then again, my older sister coordinated for me and all my husband and I had to do was to show up, shut up, and pay up. It worked out quite well, I must say. I always told my sister she needed to be in the wedding biz.....

frankandcathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankandcathy Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 1:49am
post #38 of 39

Is this like bridezilla week or something????

It's so hard sometimes to be a Christian in business because you desperately want to be gracious and loving and also...to tell people what you are actually thinking. icon_surprised.gif)

Hopefully, gracious and loving wins out most of the time!!!

I agree with the sentiments about marriage. I think back on all the little things I worried about on our wedding day. I should have been worrying about how I was going to live with the man I married, serve him, and be the best wife I could be!

sueco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sueco Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 8:17pm
post #39 of 39

You and your DH are definitely wonderful people. Too bad the bride is on the opposite end of the spectrum. What about her husband? Was he in the least bit appreciative for everything you and your DH did? (Didn't read all the posts). If not, then he and his new wife are the perfect match and deserve each other. You gotta feel sorry for the other guests at the wedding, too... if she couldn't give you a thank you in person, they probably won't get thank you notes for the gifts they gave and/or for coming to the wedding. (But at least the guests got to eat a delicious, beautiful cake!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%