Yellow Rum Cake

Baking By cakelady Updated 26 Jun 2005 , 3:05am by veejaytx

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 8

I just received a request for a yellow rum cake.......he does not want rum flavoring used.....he wants the real stuff......has anyone ever made one?

7 replies
KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 8

NO I HAVE NEVER MADE ONE BUT WHEN I MADE ICE CREAM I USED REGULAR KAHLUA IN IT AND IT WORKED. I THINK THAT USING THE RUM ITSELF WOULD BE THE SAME AND YOU COULD DO IT. HOPEFULLY SOMEONE ELSE WILL REPLY.

cake4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4you Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 8

cakelady -

I have made a yellow bacardi rum cake, I got it out the Cake Mix Doctor book, do you have this book, if not give me your e-mail and I will send it to you...

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 8

I have a devilishly delicious recipe for a bacardi rum cake. You use a yellow cake mix, a box of vanilla pudding mix, 1/4 cup of bacardi gold, 4 eggs, and the amount of oil and water as according to the directions on the cake mix. Mix and bake as directed on the mix box. Then you create a simple syrup by boiling these items in a small saucepan: 1/4 cup bacardi rum, 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup water. It will be a thin syrup - but full of flavor! Pour that over the unfrosted cake and decorate as usual! It's a spectacular cake.
P.S. Don't use Bacardi 151! I made that mistake one time and we (seriously) had to put a little note in front of the cake "For adults only") icon_biggrin.gif

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 8

This is the best cake in the world!! We make it every christmas. It is super duper moist, freezes great, and tastes wonderful!!
http://baking.about.com/cs/cakes/a/bacardirum.htm
I have also substituted the bacardi for a non-brand that was a pineapple rum. Was good too!

I have a question though, if someone can help. I have always been curious to know if it had to be made in a bundt pan? I'm scarred to try it any other way.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 8

GinaJ,
I've made that recipe before. I used a 12" square springform pan and it worked perfectly.

kakesbyrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesbyrobin Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 8

I made the bacardi rum cake for christmas this year,actually I made 6.

The recipe I had called for walnuts into the pan before you put your batter in.It is very popular.

I made one for my mother,I put in pecans for the top and crushed pineapple into the batter,it was very moist.
My mother,who does not drink loved it,in fact she was worried there wouldn't be any leftover for her to take home.

This year I want to try it with captain morgans spiced rum. icon_biggrin.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 3:05am
post #8 of 8

You shouldn't worry about the alcohol in baked food, the alcohol actually evaporates in the cooking process. Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%