Rolled Bc Another Alternative To Fondant..any Good?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 4 Sep 2006 , 6:44pm by oceanspitfire

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 4

I have to make a naughty cake for Saturday.All the pics I have seen have been fondant to get the best look.I don't have enough fondant and honestly I am reluctant to use it because most people don't like it.I know you just can't get the look with BC no matter how yah smooth it and I use WBH icing so you can smooth it anyway.I can make homemade rolled BC but would like to know your thoughts......

Laurel icon_cry.gif

3 replies
casebit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casebit Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 4

I have never used the rolled buttercream on cakes, but I love it on cookies. Have you ever made marshmallow fondant? I love the way it tastes and it's easy to work with. You could try the rolled buttercream if you don't like mmf, but maybe make it a little firmer by adding a little more conf. sugar, so it's not so flimsy. Let us know how it turns out! Good luck!!!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 4

i have always known about rolled butter cream but have never ever tried to make it. hope you get more answers though. sorry i am not of much help.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 4

I used RBC before I discovered MMF- bearing in mind I'm a novice in the first place lol and I havent experimented with butter- on the cakes I did with RBC- they had to be special so I made them with solid coconut oil- dont know if RBC tends to be greasy anyway. The grand piano cake and the zen garden cake were both RBC (with coconut oil)- ignoring the fact that they dont look great because of my skill level, it was ok to work with other than the greasy part (which again could have just been because of the coconut oil properties).
I will use it again - will make it with butter though (the traditional RBC recipe that I have bookmarked, from here I think) - and work with it now that I have experience with MMF to compare it to.
As for taste- it tasted fine. I've never used ready made fondant so I cant comment on that LOL.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%