Help Rock Candy

Sugar Work By naotter Updated 4 Sep 2006 , 1:34am by bodaisy

naotter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naotter Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 1:17am
post #1 of 5

I have tried 2 times to make rock candy. I have one recipe that states to bring the sugare/water to 240 degrees, and one that says just keep adding sugae until the water won't accept any more. After which in both cases - just place in jar, put our string in the jar and wait. Well, I have waited a total of 8 days - 4 for the first & 4 for the 2nd attempt. Any body know what I ah doing wrong or have and hints as to how to make this work?

Thanks

4 replies
lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 1:20am
post #2 of 5

you need to add more sugar than the water will accept. have the water very hot, keep adding sugar and dissolving until there is sugar on the bottom of the pot. then put in your sticks and wait. you need the undissolved sugar for two reasons: 1. to make sure the solution is super-saturated and 2. to provide the starter seed crystals for your candy.

icon_biggrin.gif

i know this, because i used to teach little kids how to do this at my old job as a birthday party host at a children's museum. it's a fun experiment. icon_razz.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 1:23am
post #3 of 5

here's a little help:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/candy/recipe-rockcandy.html

note:

soak and DRY string before using. (this speeds up crystal formation by creating itty-bitty "seed" crystal

it takes 7 days or more to finish -- 4 is just getting started

naotter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naotter Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 1:24am
post #4 of 5

I did saturate the water. I did not put my string in until there was water on the bottom of the pan - and I even dipped my string in water and then sugar and still no luck.

I used - 3 cups of water - and 8 cups of sugar - plus more until it would not dissolve. Any other suggestions - otherwise I will try this again.

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 1:34am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

here's a little help:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/candy/recipe-rockcandy.html

note:

soak and DRY string before using. (this speeds up crystal formation by creating itty-bitty "seed" crystal

it takes 7 days or more to finish -- 4 is just getting started

Thanks for the link Doug... I actually tried making this a few weeks ago and UGH!!!!!! What a JOKE that was!!!!! I ended up tossing the whole thing... My son was sooooo excited to make it, but it just flopped icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I guess we'll try again!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%