Italian Rumcake

Baking By jwm296 Updated 12 Sep 2006 , 12:32am by Naty

jwm296 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwm296 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 7

does anyone have a recipe or instructions for rumcake ? Stopped at an italian deli/grocery store. I bought a few pieces of rumcake @ almost $4 a piece. I figure I can make my own alot cheaper, just don't know how much rum is called for.

6 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:06am
post #2 of 7

I would start with 1/2 cup of Rum depending on how much rum you want to taste add from there...

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:13am
post #3 of 7

you can take any yellow cake, and add this...

4 ounces of simple syrup and 2 ounces of rum....

I also like to add a stick of unsalted butter and melt it down and add the liquid to it and pour it over the cakes.

I cool the cake, turn it out onto a board, line the pan with plastic wrap, put the cake back into the pan and pour the cooled syrup over it and let it sit over night.

if you cook all the ingredients together you will cook some of the alcohol out of the rum which will give you a milder flavor.

Sooooo, how WAS your 4.00 piece of rum cake? lol

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:35am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

you can take any yellow cake, and add this...

4 ounces of simple syrup and 2 ounces of rum....

I also like to add a stick of unsalted butter and melt it down and add the liquid to it and pour it over the cakes.

I cool the cake, turn it out onto a board, line the pan with plastic wrap, put the cake back into the pan and pour the cooled syrup over it and let it sit over night.

if you cook all the ingredients together you will cook some of the alcohol out of the rum which will give you a milder flavor.

Sooooo, how WAS your 4.00 piece of rum cake? lol

I do this with my scratch yellow cake, and have always wanted to do it to a scratch chocolate cake, but haven't found a decent chocolate cake recipe thats not dense or rich to add the the rum syrup to. Just wondering, can this be done also with a chocolate cake? Do you have a recipe you can share with me? You can PM if you like. If you do, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Naty

RisqueBusiness Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:41am
post #5 of 7

I would do the same with a chocolate cake...but maybe not add the butter??

hope that helps!

RisqueBusiness Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:42am
post #6 of 7

oh sorry didn't read your message..do you have access to a commercial account?

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 12:32am
post #7 of 7

Sorry, but I don't understand. Commercial account? You mean if I bake commercially? Could you please PM me or e-mail at : [email protected].????

Thank you,
Naty

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%