Okay, I'm Sorry To Ask But...

Decorating By foxymomma521 Updated 12 Jul 2007 , 6:58pm by jenbenjr

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 17

I have a pricing question. Please look at this pic, I don't sell cakes now, but I hope to one day soon. Can anyone give me an idea of what they would charge for something like this?? Sorry to ask, but I'm really curious...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_770973.html

16 replies
Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 17

well i have only sold one cake. but i charged double what it cost to make and still undercharged the guy. but it was for a friend and my very first paid cake i said what the heck. like i said not much info but hth.

foxymomma521 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks, I'm still too unsure to figure all this out on my own...

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 17

Fantastic cake. At least $50.00.

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 17

AT LEAST what wendyb said...

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 17

I don't sell cakes, so I can't help you wish pricing, but you did a great job!

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 17

great cake Id say 40-50 But I always under charge..

lpino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lpino Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 17

Yep, $50 sounds good.

I always go by the amount of people the cake feeds and charge per person. Anywhere from $1.50 to $3.00 depending on the amount of work involved, flowers, chocolate, etc.

Having said this, I always end up under-charging my cakes but oh, well!
I do it for the practice, right? icon_wink.gif
Good luck!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 17

Well, I think you are all short-changing yourselves. icon_confused.gif ..for a triple layer 10" cake with this much detail, I'd charge between $75 and $90! And I'm by no means in a really high $$ market. icon_razz.gif
Think how much time you put into it...I realize you are just beginning to think about charging, but you don't want to ever LOSE money for sure.

HTH
Kathy

BTW Great Cake! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:32pm
post #10 of 17

I was going to say that $50 was too little for a 3 layer 10" cake, especially with fondant.

It would help for you to make a list of your ingredients and add that up. Then try 2-3 times that amount....what does that give you??

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 17

A 10 inch cake will feed about 30-35 people. I would charge 3$ a serving for that cake.. so 60-75$. Great job!!

foxymomma521 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:52pm
post #12 of 17

Wow!! That is sooo much more than I would have thought! I was thinking maybe $30 and was worried that was too much. Thank you for the kind words, I tried really hard on this one icon_smile.gif .

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:56pm
post #13 of 17

That is a fantastic cake, and as much as I would love to get the kind of money....where I live I wouldn't be able to get any more than $25 for it. I wish I could charge for cakes like others do.....but I know I wouldn't be doing any cakes and I love to do them too much. I think pricing is all in where you live. The most I have charged for a cake is $50. It was a 2 tier 12" and 9". I thought that was just great!!!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=717433

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 17

$25.00 would barely cover the cost to make that cake. A 10 inch cake is big, and icing and fondant.. If you did that for $25.00 you'd make nothing. I mean I know it's a little different if you use a mix, but even then your profits are tiny. For me to make a batch of chocolate cake (WBH) it costs roughtly 9$. That will make a 10 inch cake.. For icing about 4$.. fondant a few bucks at LEAST. You need to make sure that you are paid for your time.. and more than a few bucks. icon_biggrin.gif

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:41pm
post #15 of 17

I would pay at least $50 for it, but in my town I don't think people would pay more than $25 for it, unfortunately.

People always go, "Well I can get the same amount of cake for $18 at COSTCO!" and then I'm like, "Well go to COSTCO then!"

People automatically think that because one bakery is more affordable that all of them have to be...and it's annoying.

I think you did a great job on that cake! My little brother would love to have something like that for his birthday!

mjpbmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjpbmf Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:47pm
post #16 of 17

If it work my cake I would probably sell for around $40 - 50. I did a cars cake a couple of months ago that is in my photos. I got $50 for that one. I was only going to charge $40 but they were so pleased they gave me $50.

How I price my cakes is as follows: $20 per cake mix used plus $20 extra for fondant (if required) and extras for special flavors, fillings, etc.

Hope this helps!

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:58pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneprimalscream

I would pay at least $50 for it, but in my town I don't think people would pay more than $25 for it, unfortunately.

People always go, "Well I can get the same amount of cake for $18 at COSTCO!" and then I'm like, "Well go to COSTCO then!"

People automatically think that because one bakery is more affordable that all of them have to be...and it's annoying.

I think you did a great job on that cake! My little brother would love to have something like that for his birthday!

I totally agree......I would pay that for it but I am one of the few where I live. I know what kind of work and time goes into a cake but not everyone else does. I have ppl calling and wanting a cake for the next day and they don't understand that it takes more time than that. Most ppl around here hear that price....they would laugh in my face. I just wished I lived in an area where I got paid what I really deserve for a cake. Everyone thinks "well it's just cake".......and they would go to walmart. I have a woman in my area...although I don't think she puts as much time and care into her cakes charges $15 for an 11 by 15 sheet cake. I already charge twice what she does. I want to continue doing cakes and I don't want to charge ppl an arm and leg for a great, unique cake...and that is what it would be in my area.....JMHO. It all depends on your location!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%