Side Of Cake?

Decorating By ombaker Updated 23 Jul 2007 , 1:06am by marthajo1

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 15

I am doing a wedding cake, it will be Hawaiian themed and my design is to have the cake iced in white with some sky blue blended in. I will have a band of darker blue going around the bottom of each tier and then a palm tree and a sun going up each side. My question is do I do the palm tree and the sun all around the cake or just one of each on the front? My idea is for the front to have the palm tree and sun on alternating sides of the cake. I mean on the bottom tier they will be on the right then the left on the middle tier and the right again on the top. So I'm not sure if I have to decorate the back or not.

Thanks for the help.

14 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 15

I am a little confused about your design?

I think you are wanting to make like a little scenery of a palm tree and a sun on the sides of the cake but, only in one spot on each of the tiers? Wouldn't that leave the rest of the tiers a little bear?

Since this is a wedding cake maybe you can consult with the person who is ordering it to get a better idea of what they would like on the cake. You could also draw out your design to see if you like you what you have envisioned!

Maybe those tips can help you!

StephyG

ombaker Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 15

opps double post

ombaker Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 15

Yes, you have it right. There will be some shells and sand going around the cake too. I was just think of these cakes that have cascades and drapes and things that they only go down the front of the cake. In my mind if the cake is circled with palm trees it would look a little funny. The topper will have a whole beach scene with the bride and groom sitting under an umbrella with all the beachy things. I will also ring the edge with a "lei" of flowers that I am making to match the invitation. But I can see your point, especially on the 12"er.

The bride is very "whatever you want to do" about the cake. Her invitations are actually for a childrens party. She's very casual!

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 15

I agree, I think you may need a little more on your cake what size are the tiers? If you are only putting 1 sun and 1 palm tree, on each tier that leaves alot of empty space. Is that the plan? If it is then I dont think you need to be concerned about the back. If you think you need more then you need more all over not just on the back.

step0nmi Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 15

I think i knew were you were going but,I am getting it now! Instead of just ONE palm tree and sun why not make the whole cake a SUNSET! That way the bottom tier can have the palm trees in the foreground and you could paint some volcanoes in the background all around the 12" tier. The middle tier could be some nice pinks and oranges maybe some purple then, you could add some birds flying around it! Then the top tier could just be yellow and orange with the topper you talked about! I could see airbrush being used in this! (if not that you could definitely using the cheaper color mists...I think it would work!)
Maybe that is what I'M seeing! But, it may be a little much!
I love what you talked bout the little leis around the tiers! This could be a great cake!

step0nmi Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 15

I guess only a great cake cause I envisioned it! LOL I just took over the design!! DON'T MIND ME!

Maybe I am just helping with getting the ball rolling! Yeah! LOL

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 15

OH! Those are great jguilbeau! Better ideas than mine!

ombaker Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 15

had thought about the sunset idea but think it will be a bit much.

She wants buttercream so anything eleborate won't really work. I like my idea and I think it will be playful but still elegant I just didn't know if I should put more than one palm tree on each layer.

Thanks for all the imput though. If she wanted fondant I would deffinately do something like the waterfall cake!

jguilbeau Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:36pm
post #11 of 15

You could also do buttercream icing with fondant/gumpaste decorations.

ombaker Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 10:51pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguilbeau

You could also do buttercream icing with fondant/gumpaste decorations.

That's what I'm going to do. The palm tree and sun will be fondant and all the stuff on top will be fondant and gumpaste. The shells will be candy melts.

I guess I'll see how it looks when I make it and I can add at that time. My cakes always evolve as I'm making them anyway!

Thanks for the ideas!!

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 12:50am
post #13 of 15

Will the cake be stacked or have pillars? If pillars, maybe palm trees in front of the pillars to hide them? If stacked, maybe off to the side standing in the spaces... I mean, if you have a 12-inch below a 10-inch then in the 2-inch space left once you put the 10-inch on top of it. Man, I can't seem to make that sentence work!

jguilbeau Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 12:51pm
post #14 of 15

I can't wait to see how the cake turns out. Please post a picture to this forum.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 1:06am
post #15 of 15

She posted her cake!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-814333.html

Looks so great! I love your waves!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%