How Do I Get The Striped Fondant Effect?

Decorating By belmelca3 Updated 17 Jul 2007 , 8:20pm by emmascakes

belmelca3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belmelca3 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:27am
post #1 of 22

i have seen alot of cakes that have a striped effect with the fondant, lots of different colours that look like a continuous piece of fondant. can someone give me an idea of how to do this.
Thanks in advance.
Emma

21 replies
jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:36am
post #2 of 22

I don't know if this helps but I've just read the May issue ofthe UK sugarcraft mag - CAKE and they used a striped stencil for the sides of the cake ( Creative Stencil Designs by Sarah Gleave ) it was very effective & pretty easy I imagine. icon_smile.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:41am
post #3 of 22

My gift box cake in my photos has alternating chocolate, white and pink stripes. I used my pasta attachment for my KitchenAid mixer to cut the stripes and then I placed them together and gently used my rolling pin to flatten them slightly so that they stuck together. Then I cut it to the size I needed.
Jacqui

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:43am
post #4 of 22

Place the strips of fondant side by side (maybe cut a little thicker) and take a roller and roll them together. I myself have never mastered this, however, I have heard of people doing this with great results.

Can't wait to see others ideas...

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:47am
post #5 of 22

I've been wondering about this too. Thanks alot.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:51am
post #6 of 22

In my pics is a Chocolate Baby Shower cake that I made the baby blanket by placing the fondant colors beside each other and then rolling them together. I also used the same technique on my Barbie Bathtub cake (the towel on her head). It works rather well icon_smile.gif Is this what you were talking about?

Lazy_Susan

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 22

Here's a 14-inch cake I covered with a solid piece of striped fondant. I just rolled logs and laid them side by side. Be sure to brush a little water between your pieces so they stick together.
LL

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:01am
post #8 of 22

Diane - that cake is fabulous !!!

Hoover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hoover Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:44am
post #9 of 22

Cool, I haven't attempted fondant, but it's on my "to do" list. The stripes are just awesome.

stacyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyd Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:33am
post #10 of 22

I love that cake.....I think I am going to try that!

stacyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyd Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:33am
post #11 of 22

I love that cake.....I think I am going to try that!

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 5:11am
post #12 of 22

I have only used fondant (mmf) to do accents with, but after looking at the fabulous cake, I just may have to try covering a cake with it! So wonderful!

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 5:26am
post #13 of 22

Cool cake and nice effects

belmelca3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belmelca3 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 6:36am
post #14 of 22

thanks for all the great advice this is a picture of the striping effect i am after.
LL

DianeLM Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 10:55am
post #15 of 22

Ohhh... well, that's an entirely different animal! Very thinly rolled fondant is cut into strips and applied to the iced cake. I use a pasta machine to get the fondant as thin as possible.

Jesjacster2 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 1:49pm
post #16 of 22

Wow Beautiful cake!

Jesjacster2 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 1:53pm
post #17 of 22

Wow Diane..I didn't realize before you were local here in Dallas area..do you give classes or demo's..wow I just wanna see you work..amazing cakes

DianeLM Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:32pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesjacster2

Wow Diane..I didn't realize before you were local here in Dallas area..do you give classes or demo's..wow I just wanna see you work..amazing cakes

Thanks for the nice compliments! I don't teach classes, but I've done a few demos for the Sweet Expressions Cake Club in Denton and I just did a demo at the San Antonio Frosting Creators DOS. Did you go to that?

Believe me, you DO NOT want to see me work - especially if you're sensitive to language. When things don't go right, I can make a longshoreman blush. icon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:49pm
post #19 of 22

Diane I have to say also your cakes are gorgeous I am in awe!!!!

DianeLM Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:56pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Diane I have to say also your cakes are gorgeous I am in awe!!!!

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Thank you! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Jesjacster2 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 6:18pm
post #21 of 22

No Diane, I haven't went to any cake clubs or even know of any around here but I would have loved to gone if i had new about it..and I wouldn't blush..I am a Sailor or used to be..I served in the USCoast guard were I met my hubby coming up on 21 years ago .. look back now and wished we had stuck with 20 years in and retired but them we wouldn't have had our two boys.. You are very talented i hope to see you at work in the future, Tina

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:20pm
post #22 of 22

Geraldine Dahlke has written a book about patterned pastes which shows how to create all sorts of patterned effects with fondant. I don't have the book but I attended a short session that she ran it was very useful. If you google her name or put it on Amazon, you should find her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%