Lillies

Decorating By kdhoffert Updated 3 Sep 2006 , 7:25pm by kdhoffert

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 2:11am
post #1 of 9

Is there a way to make lillies with icing without using a lilly nail set? None of the stores around here have the sets, and I don't want to pay 5 times the amount of the nail in shipping.

8 replies
KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 2:17am
post #2 of 9

I haven't tried this, but here's a thought - maybe use one of those small bathroom paper cups, like Dixie and shape the foil in the cup. The point of the lily nail is for the shape more than anything. SO if you can shape your foil and sit it in the cup... Just a thought

kdhoffert Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 2:25am
post #3 of 9

hmmm... that might work. might have to cut it in half or so. I saw a cake on here where they used lillies with icing.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos_display_35_-12096.html

I pm'd them. I thought that the lillies looked like they'd be too big to make with a nail.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 2:34am
post #4 of 9

Just make a wide brim with the foil - kinda like a sombrero hat. The lily nail is there for something for you to hold onto and form the "cup" shape of the flower. Hope this works!

kdhoffert Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 2:36am
post #5 of 9

Thanks. Can't hurt to try. icon_smile.gif

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:09am
post #6 of 9

what about an egg carton/ when I make buttercream flowers that are suppose to be royal icing I just freeze them and place them on the cake while frozen.

kdhoffert Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 9

that could work too. shallower and could do more than one at a time. thanks

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 9

Why don't you use a funnel? At Wal-mart they sell a four-pack of funnels in the kitchen gadget section for pretty cheap. You could line one of the smaller ones with foil, hold it at the bottom and pipe as usual. You could probably even pipe life-size lilies with the bigger funnels.

kdhoffert Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 9

see this is why people love this website. different ideas you probably wouldn't think of on your own icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%