Need 65Th Birthday Ideas For My Dad's Cake

Decorating By Susan94 Updated 9 Sep 2006 , 5:10am by cakesbyjess

Susan94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan94 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 12:54am
post #1 of 14

He will be 65 and we are having a small, family party for him but I want to make his cake special. I started working with fondant but never painted on fondant before and need some ideas. He's not retiring and plans to work till he can and so I can't do a "retirement" cake. I was thinking since he loves wine, cheese and bread to paint a "watercolor" with the icing colors on a fondant cake? What do you think of that? Or am I getting myself to doing too much work? I went to community colloge for art and love to watercolor and draw. What do you all think? I need to do a search here in galleries for "painted" cakes. would love your ideas and links if you see any cakes with a wine bottle painted on. I don't want to make a shape of a wine bottle because I don't have time to build anything. Thanks in advance.

13 replies
Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 1:00am
post #2 of 14

whats his job? can ya do something thats related to his work?

KimmysKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmysKakes Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 1:12am
post #3 of 14

I had the same problem a few weeks back. I couldn't think of a thing to put on my dad's b-day cake, so I decided to put HIM! I'm good at drawing and you say you are too, so it shouldn't be a problem. I attempted to transfer his face onto the cake with piping gel but it didn't work so I drew him freehand. I added the hat for fun. Good luck with whatever you do! icon_lol.gif
LL

Susan94 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 3:57am
post #4 of 14

Wendoger, He happened to own a italian and swiss bakery his whole life till 1995 when he closed it. Now he works at a food store chain in the bakery department but he mostly makes the dough and bakes bread and pizza too!

Susan94 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:03am
post #5 of 14

Wow Berl, what an awesome cake you made for your dad. What a great idea! I am still thinking of the wine thing because I was always bad with drawing faces (it took me a while) but this is a great idea that I don't have to draw every detail and it still would look like him. Now I have decisions to make soon. I need to work on it tomorrow. I baked all the cakes tonight, (another cake for my SIL too), made icing and fondant too! I will let you all know what I decide. Thanks so much for posting the photo of it. It's awesome.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 6:16am
post #6 of 14

my brother is a wine collector/master I guses- makes his own wine, has it made, his obsession I guess among other things lol. Anyway for his birthday this year his eldest daughter and son set up on the counter with a white tablecloth to look nice, a bottle and glass of wine and some grapes and cheese or i cant remember what else was on there. But they took a photo (his son is taking photography in HS so developped the pics)- did one BW and one Colour. They looked awesome, maybe you could google/yahoo image search something like that. A 'scene' - Bottle of wine and a glass and a cheeseboard and a baguette and then FBCT that or painting it on I like that idea- would look good as a watercolour (people always paint fruit bowls and wine and food lol)

cant wait to see it

nikinimal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikinimal Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 14

Berl, you are a genius.

Susan94 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 14

I decided to stick with the wine/Italian theme for my dad's cake and saw a photo in a Wegmans magazine and kindof copied some of the ideas. (I changed it around a little and loved doing "watercolor". I know he will love it. I also posted it in Birthday cakes last uploads and it'll be in my photos in my profile too!

Thanks so much for your replies and giving me great ideas! I just love this board! This is my first painting on a cake. I also did one today for my sister-in-law and posted that too. I will post both here so you won't miss it. icon_biggrin.gif

Have a great Labor Day! I can't wait to see their faces when they see their cake!

P.S. I erased my dad's first and last name to stay anonymous
LL
LL

KimmysKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmysKakes Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 12:57am
post #9 of 14

Susan, your cakes are GORGEOUS! You were right to go with the watercolors since you are truly talented. They're gonna flip over them. Congrats! icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. Thanks nikinimal for the compliment! icon_rolleyes.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 1:18am
post #10 of 14

those are so pretty and so delicately done.

you have an amazing hand for this kind of painted cake work.

looking forward to many more masterpieces!

Susan94 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 11:36am
post #11 of 14

Thanks everyone for your compliments. I can't wait to do another painted cake.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 11:49am
post #12 of 14

Berl that is a fantastic likeness congrats on a job superbly done. Susan I am in love with that b-day for Beth cake lol I cant stop looking at it the colors just draw me to it you truly have a gift. Keep making these beautiful cakes both of you I cant wait to see more.

Susan94 Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 3:05am
post #13 of 14

thanks darcat for compliments on beth's cake. I will let you all know when I paint some more. This is so much fun.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 5:10am
post #14 of 14

Susan, those cakes are gorgeous!! You are truly an artist!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%