Royal Icing Tiara

Decorating By dsoutherngirl Updated 2 Sep 2006 , 7:05pm by mkerton

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 10

I need to make two tiaras for a full sheet cake next week. After breaking about 4, I finally have a large one and now I need a smaller one for the other side of the cake because it's for a Miss/Little Miss Pageant. My question is this. I am placing the template on a Crisco can and putting waxed paper over it and going over it several times with royal icing...letting dry each time but still it breaks. Can someone tell me how long I should let it dry and harden before trying to remove it from the template and the can?

9 replies
SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 10

I've done royal icing tiaras for practice once. I made 2 of them - one broke and the other didn't. The first one broke as I was taking it off the can. I did a better job taking the second one off.

I took the tape off the corners and then let the waxed paper loosen from the can so it could move a little from side to side. I then tilted the can so the tiara and waxed paper would gently slide off the bottom. The one that I broke I tried to lift straight off by pulling on the waxed paper.

Also, I let mine dry for 24 hours - they were little ones and not very thick. IF you's are really thick and big - you may want to give it more time to dry.

Hope that helps a little.

dsoutherngirl Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 10

Maybe I'm just not letting them dry quite long enough. I'll let them set a bit more. Thanks SLK. icon_smile.gif

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 10

Parchment impregnated with silicone may work better then waxed paper.

dsoutherngirl Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 10

Ok..try that too. Thanks!

Joannah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joannah Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 10

I just did my first one (in my photos). I did mine on the side of a tupperware pitcher. I was afraid of using a can because of the small lip on the bottom breaking it when I slid it off. I went over the design 3 to 4 times and let it dry overnight. It slid right off this morning no problems. I used reg. parchment paper. Try using something that gets smaller on the bottom so it'll slide off.

dsoutherngirl Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 10

It's beautiful! Thanks for the tips.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 10

Where do you get the design? I would love to try one for my niece's b-day cake next month....but wondering how/where you found a pattern to follow.

dsoutherngirl Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 10

They have some great templates right here on CC. Just go to Galleries and look under patterns and templates.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 10

thanks dsoutherngirl!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%