Georgia Humidity - Ugggh!

Baking By ab2773 Updated 20 Jul 2007 , 9:17pm by Honeydukes

ab2773 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ab2773 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 15

There is most likely a simple solution here...but I'm brand spankin' new to the cookie decorating world and am not sure where I'm going wrong.

I think I have my cookie recipe down pat (tastes really good), but it's the icing I'm struggling with.

How long should I let it dry once I have decorated them? And is that to be on my countertop, or in the fridge?

I'm having trouble with my icing melting once they are out of my house - especially if I decorated on top of the icing with the edible food coloring markers.

I'm using a basic Royal Icing recipe...nothing more.

Any other icings I should try instead, or other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

14 replies
surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 15

I use Antonia's icing and never had any problem with it. The icing was stiff at first, but like Antonia said, you need to add a little bit of water to make it creamy for outlining and filling the part. The trick is that her recipe includes the merginue powder and it helps dry faster. Once I put the icing on the cookie, it took about 30 to 45 minutes to dry (outline only) and an hour or more (heavy filling area). On the countertop. As for taking it outside, try use airtight container to store your cookies in it and away from sunlight.

I've tried other RI recipes and always have problem with it, but with Antonia's, it works like a charm. Try it and see if you like it.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 15

I would not put them in the refridgerator to dry. Leave them on the counter -- a fan set on low just to keep the air circulating will also help. Store them in an airtight container.

I use the regular ol' Wilton RI recipe for details. I'm in Texas and we have that problem from time to time. icon_lol.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 15

Welcome to CC!

You can also try using fondant on your cookies, using the same cookie cutter to cut out the fondant shapes.

ab2773 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ab2773 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks everyone for the replies!

It could be that I'm not letting it dry long enough....or maybe I've got my icing too watery when I'm doing the filling and that's why it's not drying to a stable form.

I do use the meringue powder in the RI recipe I have. Some recipes call for gum arabic - would that help? I can't find that easily around town though (would have to order it). Have any of you ever used that?

I'll try Wilton's RI recipe and also Ant's recipe and see which one works better. The fondant sounds great too, but how does it stick to the cookie? Do you have to use some icing or a glaze to make it adhere?

The humidity here is just horrible...so anything that will help my cookies get in the packaging and not melt everywhere is fabulous!

Thanks again icon_biggrin.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 12:39am
post #6 of 15

I use my recipe in the humidity of summer...having a dehumidifier next to all the racks of cookies helps.

I do advise letting them dry at least 18-24 hours prior to packaging them though....even though it looks "dry" on the surface after an hour, they are really not and are easily damaged. (Keep one cookie aside and poke your finger into it every few hours to see....it takes hours to get solid!)

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:44am
post #7 of 15

I, too, have noticed what a big factor humidity plays into the drying process. I have my dehumidifier going right now on an order that is for tomorrow a.m. I have it set way down to 40%.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 12:45am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

The fondant sounds great too, but how does it stick to the cookie? Do you have to use some icing or a glaze to make it adhere?

There are a couple ways to adhere the fondant. The method I've tried is to have the fondant cut out and ready to go when the cookie comes out of the oven. Let the cookie cool a couple minutes and while it's still warm (but not hot) place on the fondant...it will slightly melt and adhere itself to the cookie. I've used this with RBC and it worked really well.

I have also read that some people use corn syrup to adhere the fondant. Some put a few dots around the egdes, others brush the cookie top with the corn syrup. I have not tried this method so can't advice on how well it works.

HTH. Jodie

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 4:54am
post #9 of 15

I use a sugar glaze on my cookies so I just brush the top surface with a little water before placing the fondant.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 9:33am
post #10 of 15

HI from Georgia! I use Antonia's icing and haven't had a problem when I let them dry overnight under a fan. Thin your icing so that when you drizzle it back over the bowl of icing, it takes a few seconds to settle back smooth. A dehumidifier works wonders but you may not really need it unless it is raining.

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 11:42am
post #11 of 15

This is good to know. I am from Ga. and haven't tried cookies yet but will definately use Antonio's.

Linda icon_smile.gif

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 11:56am
post #12 of 15

Is Antonia's icing recipe posted? I did a search but didn't come up with anything... it sounds wonderful!
Thanks icon_smile.gif

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:12pm
post #13 of 15

I used Toba's Glace just last week.. I let it set out on the counter for about 24 hours and didn't have any issues with it at all. However, I didn't have to travel with them either. I was just making everything basically for a taste test, as I've never done cookies before.

Good luck!

Holly

lotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotus Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:26pm
post #14 of 15

I'm also having a big problem with the humidity but not about icing drying period, it's about the cookies loosing their crunchiness during drying time after I decorate them with icing. I live in Istanbul and humid is too high here. Is there any recipe that doesn't get effected from humid?
I use royal icing recipe that works very well: 1 egg white, 1C icing sugar and 1 tspn fresh lemon juice...You can adjust sugar according to your needs...
Thnx
P

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 9:17pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

Is Antonia's icing recipe posted? I did a search but didn't come up with anything... it sounds wonderful!
Thanks icon_smile.gif

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-Antonia74-Royal-Icing.html

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%