3D Cruiser Cake

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 3 Sep 2006 , 5:30am by pookster

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 15

Hi I am on my way to my next practice cake, my son's birthday is on September 20th so I want to practice his cake soon! I plan on baking today and start decorating tomorrow. I plan to give this cake away since I don't want my son to see until he sees his. I will be using the 3D cruiser pan to make a Wiggles cake. I have seen many posted on this site but have not decided if I want it on a sheet pan or a round pan, but don't want the car alone on a board, I know it will be lots of cake but that's ok. I have been given tips on how to bake this cake all I got is
1. lots shortening on the pan
2. bang pan on counter to get all batter in the cracks and have no air in it.

Temperature wise and cake batter amount and cooking time I have nothing on that and last time I used the Wilton website for this I messed up my cake. Please help if you can.

14 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 15

I made the 3-D cruiser cake. (in photos) I think I just followed the instructions on the pan and it turned out fine. Just make sure you use a dense batter (like a pound cake)

notjustcake Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 15

So no cake mix!!! I'm guessing because it will fall apart

tlnewman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlnewman Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 15

Hey my daughter's b-day is Sept. 20 also!!!

I did the 3-d cruiser several times and I use the pound cake recipe on the side of the DH box.... turns out GREAT!!! icon_biggrin.gif

notjustcake Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 15

Thank you I'm glad you all told me about the pound cake!!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 15

I only bake from scratch, but I understand that if you doctor a cake mix with a dry pudding mix and an extra egg, it should hold up OK for a 3D pan (makes it denser). BTW, your son shares his birthday with me thumbs_up.gif , Hope he has a lovely day and I'm sure he'll love your cake whatever you do!

springlakecake Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 15

Oh no....sorry, you can use a cake mix, but you just have to make it denser. Plus it takes more than one cake mix I believe. I just did my cake mix extender recipe that is dense enough and I think it was just enough to fill the pan.

Here is the recipe that I use:
1 box any flavor cake mix + all of the ingredients called for on the box
1 cup flower
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
*optional*I add 1 tsp vanilla and 1tsp almond (really yummy with white)
1/2 cup oil or 1 stick butter (I like butter...)
2/3 cup water or milk (I use whole milk..also helps to make it denser)

If you are going to use butter, beat that first, then add cake mix and all of the ingredients from box, then all of the other ingredients. Mix on low for one minute, scrape (especially if you use the butter-get it all off the bottom) then on medium for 2 minutes. Bake according to pan instructions, but for me it always take a little longer for this recipe. It makes about 7 1/2 cups of batter. I use this recipe almost exclusively. It is denser, but really moist.

springlakecake Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 15

Oh also other people use added pudding and an extra egg and maybe substitute milk for water I think to make it denser... but that wouldnt give you enough batter to fill the pan if you just made one recipe if that matters to you.

notjustcake Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 15

NO MATTER HOW BAD THIS CAKE TURNS OUT HE WILL KNOW IT'S A BIG RED CAR HE LOVES THOSE GUYS SO MUCH HE CAN RECOGNIZE THEM FROM A MILE AWAY. MY SON IS TURNING 2 HE WAS BORN RIGHT ON HIS DUE DATE AND THAT'S A VERY GOOD THING!!! HOPE YOUR HAS AN AWESOME BDAY TOO!!! party.gif

tlnewman Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 15

Thank you cakedecor! She is turning 10 and is having a cake decorating party! Hope your cake turns out great! Remember to post pics!!!

notjustcake Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:12pm
post #11 of 15

HEY I STARTED A THREAD UNDER THE CAKE IDEAS FORUMS ABOUT THESE PARTIES HAVE YOU READ IT? IT GIVES TONS OF IDEAS I CAN'T WAIT FOR MY DD TO HAVE HERS!!! SHE WANTS ONE FOR HER 8TH BDAY. WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!!!!!!! HERS IS NOT TIL JANUARY icon_sad.gif

tlnewman Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:15pm
post #12 of 15

Yes I read it and loved the ideas from it!! Thanks for starting the thread!! icon_biggrin.gif

CShields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CShields Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 2:08am
post #13 of 15

I used the Wilton 3D cruiser cake pan as a foundation to making a PT Cruiser, which was supposed to resemble our friend's car. In making the cake, I used regular Betty Crocker cake mixes. Since I wanted the car to look like it was driving down a road, I baked the 3D cruiser plus a 9 x 13 cake, which I froze before assembling the finished cake. I followed Wilton's instructions in time of baking the cruiser and amount of batter needed. I found carving cake from the sheet cake and applying it to the Wilton's cruiser to resemble a PT Cruiser very workable and easy to manipulate with buttercream frosting as my "glue". I have posted the side and rear view of that cake in the Theme Cakes/3-D Cakes/Cars section of the picture gallery. In retrospect, though, the suggestion to use a denser cake or pound cake would be a better alternative because it would be easier to work with.

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 2:17am
post #14 of 15

I used the 3D cruiser pan for the BRC that I made a few years back and I used a pound cake mix. I made about 4 of them and just used a box mix and whatever was on sale. Had no problems with cutting it to shape. Good Luck!!!!! I'm sure it will come out great!

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 5:30am
post #15 of 15

i have done the cruiser many times... i just used a regular cake mix, not a pound cake, turned out awesome. i always just grease my pans with margerine and flour, i have never had any trouble getting a cake out of a pan...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%