Gum Paste Kit ???

Decorating By auntsushi Updated 3 Sep 2006 , 7:07pm by playingwithsugar

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 5

Hi -
I want to start experimenting with making gum paste flowers. I have the Wilton pre-made gumpaste (at least for now) and the fondant tools. I also just purchased the leaf cutouts (the cookie cutter looking things). Do I also need a flower/petal cut out? Is there anything else I need?

thanks
suzanne

4 replies
auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 5

I went to Hobby Lobby last night and found the kit I need. It's not really a kt, just the rose cutouts and instruction book. I'm going to start with this...if anyone knows of any other good kits or instruction books please let me know.

thanks
Suzanne

alaskagirl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alaskagirl3 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 5

I've taken a gumpaste class and purchased individual specific flower cutters and then I found the Wilton Kit with the book and I have to say I'm sorry I didn't find it before I went out and purchased the other cutters. The wilton set is a great start - intermediate so if you can find it I think it is definetly worth it.

Have fun and enjoy !!

nikinimal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikinimal Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 5

Hi, You can make some flowers without using cutters, like making a maxican hat shape, holding the cone shape with two fingers and cutting the flat circle into five or six with a pair of scissors and then forming them into petals with the fingertips. Then take a cone tool and press in the middle lightly if you made a forget-me-not or if you make a jasmine, a little deeper. You can insert wires and use them as filler flowers in a bouquet.
I have rose petal cutters, easy rose cutter but I prefer to do the rose by hand.
Now that you have the calyx cutter, you can use it to cut the mexican hat shape so that you get a jasmin.
If you have a round cutter you can make carnations. I cannot post a word file here but if you want the instructions I can write them without the drawings.
Arum lily can be cut using a heart shape cardboard template. If you buy one flower you can open it and make a template.
Once you start you will come up with ideas yourself. Best wishes.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 5

For a beginner, I suggest the Wilton Gumpaste Kit. It has several cutters in it, and very concise directions on how to use them. You will also need the gumpaste tool kit they sell.

As you progress, you will want to experiment with making your own gumpaste, and buying more complicated, but more expensive, cutters and tools.

Vixterfsu and I just finished the sugar flowers class with Ron Ben-Israel (www.weddingcakes.com), and I must say I learned a lot more from that class than any other paste flower class or demo I have ever attended.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%