Bridal Show Information For A Newbie...

Business By hsmomma Updated 25 Jul 2007 , 7:20pm by michellenj

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 24

I've never done a bridal show before and am debating signing up. I need to register by the end of the week if I am going to do it.

I just wonder if it is really worth the money? The booth is 325.00 (which sounds cheap compared to other cities). Last year they had 200 Brides with a total of 500 people attending. They had 1 other cake person there. She was an independent baker, with prices starting higher than mine, though she looks like she has more wedding experience. (I did my research..lol)
This show is out of my city but, within my delivery range. There are many more bakers in the area. Though many of them are in a much higher price range. What do you think?

Or, am I better off spending the money on advertising?

What is something you wish you knew before you did your first show? Any tricks or advice?

How many (I know this all depends...but, for curiousity...) Brides do you typically book at a show? Do you actually book them there (as in you take a deposit) or do you pencil them in and get back with them to book? What is your standard procedure? What should I expect?

Do you take your albums and idea books (of cakes you haven't done)? How do you figure out how many sample peices of cake to have? 1 per person? How do you serve your samples? I bought the mini cupcake tins and thought about making those. Good idea or no? Do you take a "helper" with you?

Any other advice? I'm really new at this and would LOVE to learn from your experience.
TIA Kristen

23 replies
mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 24

i would love to know this info too.

Kristen, what city do you live in?

Thanks
Michelle

hsmomma Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 24

Michelle, I'm in Michigan. Near Jackson.

Are you thinking about doing a show too?

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:59am
post #4 of 24

Kristen, I would love to do a bridal show. My goal is to do on this fall, hopefully by the end of the year.

My sister and I did go to a bridal show a couple of weeks ago and had the most fun. I've been married for almost 8 years and she's been married 6, but it was still alot of fun. The food was incredible from all of the caterers.

We mainly went to see how everyone set up their tables, what kind of linens they use, how many cakes they brought and what their samples were like. There was only one cake place there.

Good luck, if any this will give you another bump and maybe someone else can respond with some experience.

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:05am
post #5 of 24

Just did my first bridal show...
booth was over $1000, but I think it was worth it just for the exposure!

I would say, try to book consultations, and then before the appointment, call to confirm, to avoid "no-shows".
Yes! Bring a helper to pass out your samples, so you may talk with brides.
I would make 500 mini cupcakes; it won't take too long to make them, and I think you'll be glad you did!
You don't need to bring books/magazines for ideas, just pictures of your own work, and fake cakes to display, if you can!
Also bring literature you can pass out to people... info/flavor/current price list is great; make sure you have enough. And business cards. icon_smile.gif
Good luck!!

hsmomma Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 24

Buttercup~
Thank you so much for the help. Your information was great! I'm getting so excited but, so nervous!

I'm thinking I might skip being a vendor at the show I mentioned and just go and see everyone's set ups. That way maybe I will be better prepared for the next show this fall.

Thanks again, glad to hear from somebody who has done it. I'm taking notes.....LOL

hsmomma Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 24

Michelle,
I think that is what my sister (who is a photographer...semi newbie like me) are going to do! Go and check it out. I really wanted to be a vendor but, I'm afraid I won't be prepared until I actually go and see a show. It's been a little while since I've been to one myself as a bride. My dh and I have been married too for 8 years. My baby sister (different sister) is getting married next month so, it's been nice having a "bride" around to bounce ideas off!
Kristen

sugarbakerqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbakerqueen Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 24

Kristen,

If you are ready for business, I would say go for it this year!! Don't underestimate yourself....I looked at your photos and you do beautiful cakes!

I haven't done any trade shows as a cake designer, but I have done a few as a stylist and let me assure you...you've seen one, you've seen them all.

I'm sure you would come up with an awesome presentation if you really wanted to go for it, and judging by your work, I'm sure you would get alot of bookings also.

Good luck!

Adrienne0317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adrienne0317 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 24

I went to a bridal show about two years ago, as the bride to be, and there were only three cake boothes there, two with prices so high, I was amazed, (15.00 a slice and higher) and a smaller home based business. All had samples and a book with photos, the smaller home based lady, took down the date and phone number, and then did the all the money and design talk one on one a few days later.

Just a note the lady that did my cake came from that show and we have become friends, she never had a quite moment at the show, she was surrounded by people the entire show, had to turn business away, and is still getting brides recommending her off that on show she did, two almost three years ago.

Hope that helps.

hsmomma Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 24

Okay ladies....
Here I was all set to just go and check it out ~ now you all are making me rethink that plan and want to go for it. What am I going to do? Seriously....LOL

p.s. thanks for the ego boost....made my dayicon_smile.gif

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 24

GO FOR IT!! Your cakes are beautiful and you need the exposure otherwise, how do they know you are there. word of mouth is your best referral and remember "for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap" Gal. 6: 7-10.
Let us know.

rits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rits Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 3:24am
post #12 of 24

Gotta jump on the "just do it" bandwagon. If you're like me, you will never dive in if you don't stick your toe in the water! If you sign up & pay your good money to participate, it will force you to pull the booth together, make some great display (fake) cakes, and probably polish up some rough edges of your business.

I did my first large wedding show last year, and it literally booked me for the entire season! I'm still taking orders & getting referrals from that one 2-day event. In a 5X10' space, I had 4 display cakes, some nice postcards & biz cards (no brochures, no fancy albums!) & a kinda swanky looking booth.

Other cake vendors at the show did book orders there - I just had people sign my guest book & then followed up with them over the next 2 weeks.

Don't plan on serving samples unless you have a helper there - you will be too bombarded with info-seeking brides! I really, strongly recommend having an assistant if you can.

Best of luck if you choose to do it!

hsmomma Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 24

What to do, what to do??? LOL

Do you think it would be too overwhelming for somebody like me who is just starting out in Wedding Cakes after a long (like 10 year) break? I'm picturing a bunch of brides, with lots of questions and me totally fumbling over the answers. I know I shouldn't worry... I'm just by nature a shy quieter person. Though I don't have problems talking to people....

One more question....Would it look unprofessional, in your opinions, to have a teenage helper. She is very mature and I wouldn't worry about how she would come across. Except...would people think that I wasn't professional enough to have an adult assistant? You know what I mean?

P.s. Thanks for all your help. I'm writing down all the info. you have given me. You can't believe what a help it has been! Thanks!!!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 5:18am
post #14 of 24

O.k. ... The obvious answer is go for it!

Teenage helper: Don't worry about it, just make sure that she wears a white top, newer black pants, a hat/hair control (whichever your state requires in the kitchen), and gloves. Sort of like the uniform they have all the people who do demos in the grocery store wearing. That way she sort of "blends" better. Also, have her prepared with the basic answer questions like "what do you start at per slice" and "what flavor is this?".

As for doing the show, I've got to be honest and say the time to do a show is at the beginning of the year because all the brides are on their cloud nine high from just getting engaged over the holidays. OTOH, you're primarily going to simply get exposure by doing the show. It's something like the person needs to see a company's name out there 3-7 times before they will recognize it.

As for tips for doing the show. Mini cupcakes with a rotating cupcake pillar or dummy/board stand. That way you don't handle the samples very much, other than your second person standing behind the table rotating the stand and filling it from behind (aka out of the way), you can bring some "take home boxes" and send other vendors home with some samples at the end of the show without worrying about cake drying out because it sat while you were waiting for the next group of brides to come through.

Make sure to bring along with you things like a roll of paper towels, extra brochures, business cards, cake servers, gloves (you don't want to get sticky before shaking hands with brides or just picking up their hand to see the "bling" (great intro "let's see the bling!" and they suddenly perceive you as caring about THEM), DUMMIES!!!!, photos of work you've done (if you've got a computer and can just let it scroll through the pics that works better), copy of your license(s) just in case, rolling cart to haul supplies (it's a lot longer walk than you think it will be in most cases), Something to act as a table skirt if its not provided (aisle runner was the most creative yet cheap idea I've seen)

Good luck and have fun!

hsmomma Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 2:03pm
post #15 of 24

Thank you! Good idea to take my license (copy). That's probably one of those things I would have forgotten.
Thanks for painting such a visual picture for me. That's exactly what I need!
Thanks again!!

sugarbakerqueen Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 2:30pm
post #16 of 24

YAY! I'm so excited for you! I wish I could be there, handing out cake samples or something. icon_lol.gif ...you know all of us cc'ers are there with you in spirit for support icon_cool.gif ...don't forget that if you get nervous!

If someone asks you a question- you know the answer! icon_rolleyes.gif
DON'T PANIC! You will be great! icon_wink.gif

hsmomma Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:45pm
post #17 of 24

What did I do??? AAACCCCKKK!!
I made a deposit on my booth ~ no going back now!
Thank you for all your encouragement. I can't believe I'm actually going to do it. Talk about jumping in with both feet!!!!
OMGosh!

sugarbakerqueen Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:22pm
post #18 of 24

When is the show?

hsmomma Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:06pm
post #19 of 24

Sept. 30th ~ I've got a "little" time......I've only got 1 Wedding Cake and a handful of other event cakes to do before then. And then a Wedding Cake the following weekend. So, at least I won't be too busy!

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:59pm
post #20 of 24

I just helped a friend this weekend do a show here in Houston. She had a clever idea to do a give-away. She is giving away 2 bridal shower (10" basic decor) cakes each day (Sat and Sun). So basically it gets the brides to give you their information so you can contact them later.

It's a thought!

simplysweetbygigi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetbygigi Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 8:03pm
post #21 of 24

I do them all the time, and yes they get expensive but, I do get business out of them. Usually not right away, but they tend to call you. I always bring mini cup cakes decorated with a tiny flower on them so everyone can taste them. You need an eye catcher, so do 1 or 2 dummy cakes along showing your talent. Also bring tons and tons of business cards, brochures, anything that has your business name and phone number. At most of these shows you also have to bring an item for a give away. I give a cake knfe set along with a 10% coupon for my business and a brochure and info on where and when I will be showing my talent again. Also I have a small form for each bride to fill out, it consists of her name, grooms name, date of wedding, place of wedding, and her address and -phone number. I tell each bride to fill one out and drop it in a drawing box I have to win a $100.00 coupon from my business. Of course they need to spend at least $500.00 to redeem the coupon. This way you have all their info and you can send them reminders of who you are. Even if they don't use you for their wedding cake, they might call for a different occasion. Oh yeah, bring someone with you it tends to get very crowded.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 8:48pm
post #22 of 24
hsmomma Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 5:23pm
post #23 of 24

Very good information! I never thought about a give away. LOVE the cake knife idea!

The show I registered with (Brides to Be) gives you all the brides information from when they come in the door within 3 days of the show. Like name, wedding date, address, email address, phone number. So, would I really need to do my own "drawing" at my booth to get their information?

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:20pm
post #24 of 24

It's not necessary to do a giveaway, but I have seen people offer incentives to book on the spot, like a $20% discount if they book that day. Just a thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%