Stacked Cake Will Travel

Decorating By bovaritter Updated 2 Sep 2006 , 7:09am by pookster

bovaritter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bovaritter Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 8

I may be doing a wedding cake that has four tiers and a fondant drape with roses that cascades down the front. I am nervous about transporting it assembled, but also nervous about having to do all the work on site! I am thinking that would be best though since having an accident in the car would be worse...does anyone have any thoughts? Also, what would be the best way to get my gumpaste roses and fondant draping to stick to the fondant covered cake once I am there? Vanilla extract?
Thanks!

7 replies
LacieLou76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LacieLou76 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:16am
post #2 of 8

I would transport the tiers seperately and assemble on site. I would maybe try a paste made from a little water and meringue powder to get the fondant to stick. I do this to hold the loops to my fondant bows together but I am not sure how it would work for the fondant drapes. Just a thought.

mjsparkles2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjsparkles2001 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:19am
post #3 of 8

I just had a cake slide on the way to a wedding shower ... it crushed the bottom layer and the top two layers were really messed up ... couldn't save it ... so I DEFINATLY vote for doing the work at the location!!

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:19am
post #4 of 8

Maybe you could stack 2 and 2. That way you could put only the two halves together, save some work and we know that you can travel with two tiers high.

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 6:38am
post #5 of 8

definatly travel with it un assembled and do the work on site, just make sure you bring extra icing in piping bags, a paint brush, some water, and extra flowers in case some break. i just did a $ 800.00 wedding cake with swags, just brush on some water to attach the drapes( just a little!!!). and don't forget your camera!!!

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 6:41am
post #6 of 8

I'd always stick fondant to fondant with royal icing - water just makes the peices slide about. Please don't use water!

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 6:48am
post #7 of 8

water can be used but just a tiny bit must be used or the pieces slide. The weight of the drapes can also make them slide when used with water. I would agree with emmascakes use either royal icing or mix some of the leftover fondant with a little water so its a piping consistency and use that

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 7:09am
post #8 of 8

i have never had anything slide when i use water to adhere rolled fondant, but i use just the teeniest amount of water....i have also worked with it lots, so perhaps you guys are right, use royal icing if your new at it.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%