Hints For Making 3-D Cake?

Decorating By jess9333 Updated 6 Sep 2006 , 9:29pm by jess9333

jess9333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess9333 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 8

I am planning on making a sculpted cake soon. It will require a fair amount of sculpting/modelling. Does anyone have any hints to make this easier?

7 replies
Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 12:59am
post #2 of 8

I guess it depends on what you want to do... character, objects, so on... like do you want a person or a cheeseburger or an elephant or...? Haha! I try to divide the object into shapes so that I have as little sculpting as possible.

I'm curious to see what you decide to do, let us know and we can give you ideas. Unless you wanted an idea of what to do! geez... am I blowing this now?

Try making Mount Rushmore! That would be neat.... and plenty of sculpting!

Here is my third cake, and you can see the shapes it was divided in. Rectangle base, square (cube) body, tube neck, round head. Put it together... You have Jack!
LL

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:04am
post #3 of 8

Pound cake or a cake with pudding in the mix is best. Something dense. you can add pudding to your cake mix as well. Also you could freeze the cake to make sculpting easier. Good Luck

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:19am
post #4 of 8

Print out 3 D pictures of all angles to keep close to you or if you have a 3D figure that's even better. All depends really what you are trying to carve I suppose.

jess9333 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 3:34am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the hints. I want to make a doll. I would like her in a sitting position, with her legs out in front of her. I want her arms down, but not glued to her sides...Similar to the pic (excuse my drawing!)

Should I make her arms out of cake? Gumpaste?
LL

jess9333 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 8

Darthburn, how did you make the neck of the cake?

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 8

I cut a paper towel roll about 4 inches long for a mold, wrapped it in Saran Wrap and buttercreamed it. Then I wrapped the fondant around and tucked in the ends.

When I do Jack again, I am going to add gumpaste to the neck fondant and use the roll for a mold again, but let it harden first so that I can remove the roll.

Just for clarification, the neck doesn't support the head in anyway. I used a dowel for support and at the top the is a piece of wood that his head rests on.

I soooo wish I had pictures, but again it was a surprise for my wife and couldnt take any. That is why I am going to make a second one with detailed pics.

Hope that helps, if you want to know more I would be happy to answer! icon_biggrin.gif

jess9333 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you Darthburn! I love your cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%