Ace Of Cakes 8-31 Episode.

Decorating By LukeRubyJoy Updated 1 Sep 2006 , 8:37pm by MrsMissey

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:39am
post #1 of 24

Holy cow! Did you see all that fondant? And that California cake? And the doggie? And 27 cakes for 1 weekend?!?!? The "order wall" with all the clipboards is a great idea, I haven't seen it before. I thought this was a good episode. Duff is funny, and I thought he was very, very human. I loved his comments. And the way that he fixed the fondant crack with royal icing, you couldn't even tell! What a CUTIE PIE!! Just me and my 2 cents.

23 replies
Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 4:50am
post #2 of 24

It was a good episode but I saw it last week. I was hoping for a new one. Seems I'm the only one who saw it before.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 6:04am
post #3 of 24

When I saw the title I thought it was a repeat but wasn't sure..... I guess I will delete it from my TiVo..... bummer icon_sad.gif

It's just not Thursday night w/o my sweet duff icon_redface.gif how I love him!

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 6:11am
post #4 of 24

That California cake was AWESOME!!!! I can't even imagine how hard that was to do. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show (and I LOVE LOVE LOVE DUFF, but don't tell my husband =)

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 6:19am
post #5 of 24

I loved this show and the others too. This one was my favorite I think, just looking at all the cakes!!! And Duff is so cute! (he could be my son icon_redface.gif ) I like they way they all pitch in and get the job done! That California cake was awesome!! I had seen it on previews, but oh, my goodness what a cake!!! wonder how much that one was??

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 6:23am
post #6 of 24

I Luvz this show!!!!! Duff and his gang are just so real. Boy, what talent they have icon_eek.gif. And I agree, Duff is sooo hott in his own quirky little way.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 6:39am
post #7 of 24

I hated that this week was a rerun, but I agree that it was a good episode. My favorite part was watching them construct the German Shepard!! That was really neat and it looked fantastic when they finished. Hope there is a new episode next week.

Cindy

LukeRubyJoy Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 24

Oh, see, I didn't see the first week, when there were 2 episodes on back to back....so I have only seen this show and last week. How many episodes are there?? As I am pretty darn new to this, I never saw most of the other shows he was on either. I think I did see a challenge, but I wasn't so intensely into it then. So, does food network offer a "duffography" listing all the shows he has appeared in? I could just check myself.....

I really liked the cake they made that had red with the pieces cut out for the 2 guys. I think I may try a "cut out piece" cake soon. You think you could use only buttercream, or must use fondant for that?

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 24

I LOVED this show too! I loved the "tip" on how to help cracked fondant! I wish I knew which kind of fondant he uses though.... that would be interesting.... I wonder if it is really expensive like the one Colette uses... wonder what it tastes like too. They covered it up on the show... when you saw the tub of the fondant, the name was "blurred".

I also thought 27 cakes in one weekend is nuts! How does he do that w/out freezing cakes?? How do you have time to do that? When do you bake? What do you do during the week? You can't make the fondant decorations w/ no fondant.....

I loved the dog construction too - I wish I knew how to make my own things like that - or that I had a husband who was handy - but alas, I have neither skill nor know of someone w/ that kind of skill....

I was amazed at the California cake too - I didn't love the overall effect of it but I loved each of the individual "scenes" - and all the techniques! They are true artists! I wonder how long it took to make that cake.... and did it still taste good if it was baked on Monday and delivered on Saturday? What kind of cake could that be?? I'm pretty sure it's not a fruitcake - I know they like 'em in England and they're great for decorating b/c they're supposed to get better as they "age" - but most Americans aren't into fruitcakes so I'm so curious as to what kind of cake you could be decorating for a week and it still tastes good....

Oh also had to LOL at Duff almost missing the boat.... and then the way that he pointed things out to the students about the cake.... it was so cute. I do that too icon_smile.gif Very adorable. (although the vomit royal icing was a little nasty - nice touch but blech! - did anyone eat that??)

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 24

I watched the show for the first time last night and LOVED it! It was also kinda cool 'cause I'm from MD originally so when they mentioned the little town of "Frederick" (which to me isn't a "little town") I giggled because I used to work there and grew up close to there and even now only live 30 minutes away. I'm also only about 45 mintues from Baltimore where his bakery is located.
So, it was pretty neat to see the road signs that I've seen before, etc. (Okay, okay, it doesn't take much to entertain me...lol)!

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 24

I love the talent showcased on this show as well...if only I could be Duff's friend and be hired to work there for a month...imagine what you could learn!!

I did wonder how they got so many cakes done for one weekend. Did you notice that every cake was done by Friday? Which means they were working on them for a few days before...can't refrigerate fondant, so it just sits out in the middle of the shop? So how many days does it sit there until your wedding day? Does it taste okay by then?

I know you all say how much you like Duff...I do too, but I really have to say that I appreciate Geoff's subtle humor even more. I love when he talks under his breath...like when he said in this last episode something about fondant (I believe) and you had to "take your time" and "work it with your hands...kinda like a woman...but I won't go into that right now." I was LMAO!!!!!!

MY DH even sits down with me and watches this show just so he can see what Duff and Goeff will say next! He was cracking up when Geoff wouldn't high-five Duff and Duff says he "can't believe he was going to leave him hanging on national television like that!"

Can't wait till the next show!

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 5:43pm
post #12 of 24

I agree, I love Duff & the show also. But as I was watching last night (rerun, I saw it b/4) I was thinking that I sell my cakes for taste first. I don't cover my cakes w/fondant. I watched him construct several cakes w/rice Krispie treats too. I just don't think his cakes can taste very good with all that fondant, krispie stuff. And I also watched as he touches his face, & hair then picks up the cake & puts it on top of the other tier. I know, I am weird, but when I think about how careful I am with my cakes & always washing my hands........

nickshalfpint Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 6:09pm
post #13 of 24

I believe Duff uses Massa Ticino fondant.

annlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlou Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 6:19pm
post #14 of 24

I was dissappointed that last night was a rerun for me too. But of course I watched it again!
LouAnn

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 6:21pm
post #15 of 24

Colette uses Massa Ticino fondant too. Wonder where you get it.

Glad I'm the only one who gets grossed out by watching Duff touch his face and head, then a cake! Other than that I like the show a lot.

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 6:22pm
post #16 of 24

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
u are making me sick already oh Ilove Duff OH I love Duff!
i like the show too ..i mean he is talented but i hate to read oh i love duff he is the great..oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
every week it is going to be this??????????? icon_confused.gif
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

MelissaLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaLynn Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 6:23pm
post #17 of 24

I was wondering what his cakes taste like too. Really gals and guys....how does one of your cakes taste after sitting out on a shelf for 3 or 4 or 5 days??? One thing for sure, no scratch cakes are made there!! And what about the buttercream under all that fondant? Can't be made of butter, its probably that ready made stuff, and IMHO there's nothing like the real BC. Cakes can look cool as ever, but who wants to eat one just for looks??

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 6:25pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbakin

Colette uses Massa Ticino fondant too. Wonder where you get it.

Glad I'm the only one who gets grossed out by watching Duff touch his face and head, then a cake! Other than that I like the show a lot.

I agree! I think any show on cake decorating is a great one!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 6:28pm
post #19 of 24

wasnt a rerun for me. even if it was i would still watch. you can learn so much from the show. i wondered how they would do the dog out of cake. i thought that everything was going to be cake but i guess it really couldnt have been. interesting show. i love it and his laugh is so infectious. i have to laugh when i hear him laugh. thats one show i would buy on dvd. wish it was more how too but i guess you can fudge and practice. the work on the california cake was good but i like simple.

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 6:34pm
post #20 of 24

There are some cakes that improve with age. I make several pound cakes that only get better as they age. They are great for carving-not that I'm talented like that. Covered in fondant the moisture is sealed in more effectively then plastic wrap or rubbermaid, so I would think part of Duff's skill is he knows what recipes to use and how to prepare his cakes for the process.

LukeRubyJoy Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 7:03pm
post #21 of 24

ELFIE:

Quote:
Quote:

There are some cakes that improve with age. I make several pound cakes that only get better as they age. They are great for carving-not that I'm talented like that. Covered in fondant the moisture is sealed in more effectively then plastic wrap or rubbermaid, so I would think part of Duff's skill is he knows what recipes to use and how to prepare his cakes for the process.

I agree with you Elfie, I thought the point of fondant (besides smooth)was shelf-life and preserving the cake. Also, if you are making flowers or figures from the fondant, they definately need to be made in advance, right?? He did go to school for this, and not just a wilton class (or 2 or 3) he has a degree. I would just give him credit for knowing what he is doing, even if you don't like his mannerisms, or whatever.

MAISZA:

Quote:
Quote:

i like the show too ..i mean he is talented but i hate to read oh i love duff he is the great..oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
every week it is going to be this??????????

If you see a topic that may contain gushing over a pop idol, and you don't like it, perhaps it is better to not read it. No one is forcing you to. Seems to me the show will be on for some time, and people will most likely continue to swoon. Just my opinion.

nickshalfpint Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 7:19pm
post #22 of 24

You can buy the fondant here.
http://www.sinclairecompany.com/

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 7:55pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeRubyJoy

ELFIE:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with you Elfie, I thought the point of fondant (besides smooth)was shelf-life and preserving the cake. Also, if you are making flowers or figures from the fondant, they definately need to be made in advance, right?? He did go to school for this, and not just a wilton class (or 2 or 3) he has a degree. I would just give him credit for knowing what he is doing, even if you don't like his mannerisms, or whatever.

MAISZA:
Quote:
Quote:

every week it is going to be this??????????

If you see a topic that may contain gushing over a pop idol, and you don't like it, perhaps it is better to not read it. No one is forcing you to. Seems to me the show will be on for some time, and people will most likely continue to swoon. Just my opinion.

of course i want to learn from this show or i expect to do so..but give a break with all that ...oh the great Duff..... icon_confused.gif [/b]

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 8:37pm
post #24 of 24

..thanks everyone! This thread is now locked!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%