Roflmao!! I'd Like To Taste Their "winning" Cakes.

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 8 Sep 2006 , 1:34am by adven68

Spoondog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spoondog Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 3:33pm
post #31 of 39

Coming soon.....

Iron chef-Cake Edition!

icon_smile.gif [/b]

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 5:13pm
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoondog

Coming soon.....

Iron chef-Cake Edition!

icon_smile.gif [/b]

LOL! icon_lol.gif

I had forgotten about the one with Giada where they tasted the cakes and everything! That was very cool.... of course, it scared me off from every trying to make IMBC with her comment on a mouthfull of butter icon_biggrin.gif

I am not AS interested in the "taste only" challenges... I will admit that. I do like the ones that combine both. And I know that these are all for show - the "looks only" challenges on the Food Network, that is....

I guess I was just trying to say that people who don't understand cake like we all do icon_lol.gif think that those cakes, the 3D-carved-fondant-covered-masterpieces can taste light as a feather, moist with creamy fillings, etc.... and then they want them.

Bronwein Weber ( prob. misspelled her name icon_biggrin.gif ) is one of my favorites! The cake she entered into the Sugar Arts contest was unreal!! I think it was made to look like a gown from India.... it was amazing. But she said she worked on it for months - right?

It's almost like these are craft shows, in a way. For instance the gingerbread competiitions ( another favorite ) are worked on for months and months. Clearly that is a 'no eat' competition, regardless of everything being edible. You don't expect to eat a gingerbread house that has been sitting out since fall and made with edible cement...otherwise known as Royal Icing. icon_lol.gif

But I think most people want to eat a cake... eventually, right? I am not knocking these people - I love them, in fact, they are my heroes...

I was just expressing my frustration with getting cakes to look amazing without sacrifing moisture and flavor.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 5:48pm
post #33 of 39

[quote="CakeDiva73

I guess I was just trying to say that people who don't understand cake like we all do icon_lol.gif think that those cakes, the 3D-carved-fondant-covered-masterpieces can taste light as a feather, moist with creamy fillings, etc.... and then they want them.

I was just expressing my frustration with getting cakes to look amazing without sacrifing moisture and flavor.[/quote]

There is no reason to sacrifice flavor for looks. Every one of my carved/fondant cakes tastes as good as the next. It's true that the buttercream cakes are more perishable and, therefore, must be made entirely within a day or 2 of the event (unless you freeze your cakes), but, if you plan well and create your decorations ahead of time, the actual fondant covered cake can also be made within a day or two. That's the beauty of fondant. It's so versatile...you can do anything with it.

I use buttercream fillings most of the time...on occasion I use fruit. There is nothing to keep you from using fillings. For example....my "handbag" style cakes are about 10" high. I don't, however, just stack cake on top of cake......I measure and plan and carve 2 separate cakes on their own cake boards, torte & fill them, dowel, and stack them. You would never know that it was 2 cakes, until you cut the cake. This is what I mean about planning...

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 6:04pm
post #34 of 39

Wow - that handbag cake is flawless... I would never have guessed it was filled! Sounds like you are quite organized icon_smile.gif

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 6:12pm
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

There is no reason to sacrifice flavor for looks.

I could not agree more. BTW, I love your cakes, very detailed. My favorite is the decadent chocolate one, simple, stylish and just give me a fork good...yum.

adven68 Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 7:51pm
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneyck

Quote:

There is no reason to sacrifice flavor for looks.

I could not agree more. BTW, I love your cakes, very detailed. My favorite is the decadent chocolate one, simple, stylish and just give me a fork good...yum.

That's very ironic that you chose one of my only non-fondant cakes. icon_rolleyes.gif I guess fondant can be beautiful but it doesn't make you mouth water like chocolate or buttercream.

CakeDiva...I found that I have no choice but to be organized. I, like most of us here, I think, are juggling families, other businesses and cake decorating.....sometimes I feel like I don't have a minute to spare. But, in the end...I think we all love it so much that we make time because it makes us happy! icon_biggrin.gif

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 10:30pm
post #37 of 39
Quote:

That's very ironic that you chose one of my only non-fondant cakes. icon_rolleyes.gif I guess fondant can be beautiful but it doesn't make you mouth water like chocolate or buttercream.

No it does not. I admire fondant for what can be done with it, but I would choose a tasty buttercream for my ideal cake anyday.

nikinimal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikinimal Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 10:06am
post #38 of 39

Hi,
I decorate cakes as a hobby and eat them up or serve to my friends or just give them for their occasions. I want to make it clear that I am no professional.
I started with fondant (sugarpaste) about a year back and I was using ganache or Royal Icing mainly and some buttercream, before trying fondant. I have already read how bad it tastes, but my sugarpaste is made with a European recipe by Mary Ford and it is very sweet as it is - main ingredient is sugar and sugar is naturally sweet. And that is the basic sugarpaste recipe.
When I use Royal Icing or Buttercream I add flavours to it so I add flavours to my fondant and then it taste orange or pineapple or whatever I use.
The best result I got by my Sugarpaste experiments is when I mixed left over white chocolate ganache with sugarpaste almost half and half to cover the butt I made for my friend. I covered a left over cake piece and tasted of course and it was so tasty. When he gave me tea he cut very thin slices but I thought I could have more the next day or so on. He never open the door for me until the cake was eaten entirely by him and it took a few days and my immediate question was is there any cake left and got the reply that he finished it the day before.

Sugarpaste is such a good medium to work with and I think the Jacques Torres or Coletter Peters surely have their secret blend like mine.

With buttercream I could swallow both sugar and a lot of unhealty fat and with sugarpaste and chocolate it is only the sugar I should be careful of.

Have a happy decorating. Niki

adven68 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 1:34am
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikinimal

Hi,
I started with fondant (sugarpaste) about a year back and I was using ganache or Royal Icing mainly and some buttercream, before trying fondant. I have already read how bad it tastes, but my sugarpaste is made with a European recipe by Mary Ford and it is very sweet as it is - main ingredient is sugar and sugar is naturally sweet.

I have read countless entries saying that fondant tastes bad. I haven't tasted all the commercial brands, but aside from the kerosene flavored one, a.k.a., Wilton, I thought a couple of others were really delicious (SatinIce, for example). The mmf I make at home is really good....and since it can be flavored any way you'd like, I don't understand why so many people dislike it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%