Cupcake Decorations???

Decorating By USMC_SGTs_Lady Updated 12 Jul 2007 , 9:57pm by DianeLM

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 15

next year me and my fiancee are getting married and well i have decided to make our wedding cake instead of buying one....my plan is to make a cupcake cake and then make a 8" round cake for him and me to cut. I'm not sure how many people are coming to the wedding yet, but i'm estimating around 100. I want to make 3 diff flavors of cupcakes and well I'm stumped on a way to simply, yet elegantly decorate them. I was thinking of maybe piping out his and my initials in royal frosting on parchemnt paper and then just sticking them upright into the cupcakes, but will our initials stay upright? i know royal icing softens up when it touches buttercream, so will our initials slump over or break off from being stuck into the BC frosting on the cupcakes? if so any other ideas on what i can make our initials out of? or any other ideas on how i can decorate the cupcakes fast and easily? ( i would just throw a royal icing flower on the cupcakes and some sprinkles, BUT my fiancee is in the Marines and well we are having a military wedding and i want the cupcakes to be decorated a little more formal. (like cupcakes are formal to begin with lol))

14 replies
TooCuteRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooCuteRose Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 15

how about using gumpaste...but using the intials on the cupcake...will be really cool and elegant...
congrats btw
also...ur much braver than i am...i'm getting mine made for me...

USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 15

Never used gumpaste before....too scared to...lol icon_redface.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 15

An easy way to make cupcakes decorative for wedding is to use these filigree design paper cups: http://www.fancyflours.com/cupcake-wrapper-white-filigree.html

That site has other designs in other colors as well.

For the initials, molded chocolate can also be used. Or if you want to try your hand at gumpaste/pastillage, you may have lots of time to practice before the wedding next year icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_SGTs_Lady

Never used gumpaste before....too scared to...lol icon_redface.gif

I bought some premade gumpaste to play around with first and it made me feel a lot more comfortable with it when I made it.

Then you can practice a few different things

TanuvasaMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TanuvasaMama Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 15

I was thinking maybe a white chocolate or candy melts?

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 15

How long will they have to sit with the royal icing letter in them? Could the cupcakes be made before and iced then have someone put the letters in the morning of? I made royal icing leaves and used those for cupcakes and they were ok. I would make a practice one and see what happens. Just a thought if you don't want to mess with gumpaste.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 15

Here are a few cupcakes I've done with royal or chocolate decorations. Whether using royal or chocolate, be sure to pipe a 'tail' at the bottom of the initial to stick into the icing. My royal decos held up just fine overnight in buttercream.

Edited to add: IMHO, don't do gumpaste if you can avoid it. It can't be eaten and you'll wind up with sticky little decorations all over the reception tables.
LL
LL
LL

USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

Thanks for posting your pictures of the cupcakes you did with the royal icing decorations DianeLM. Since i have a while till the wedding i think i will test out a few things...make a batch of cupcakes, then stick one of our RI initial in the BC and see how long it takes before it slumps over or if it will even slump over.
i thought about using chocolate also, but i'm just not sure exactly how to pipe out our initials....i mean when the chocolate is melted its obviously hot or somewhat warm...so can i put the choclate in a disposable decorating bag? or do i have to use something else? maybe its just me, but i would think the choclate would be too hot to put in a decorating bag.... icon_rolleyes.gif

DianeLM Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_SGTs_Lady

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

Thanks for posting your pictures of the cupcakes you did with the royal icing decorations DianeLM. Since i have a while till the wedding i think i will test out a few things...make a batch of cupcakes, then stick one of our RI initial in the BC and see how long it takes before it slumps over or if it will even slump over.
i thought about using chocolate also, but i'm just not sure exactly how to pipe out our initials....i mean when the chocolate is melted its obviously hot or somewhat warm...so can i put the choclate in a disposable decorating bag? or do i have to use something else? maybe its just me, but i would think the choclate would be too hot to put in a decorating bag.... icon_rolleyes.gif

When you make your royal icing initials, remember to pipe a little 'stake' at the bottom that you can push into the icing. If you don't do the stake, then you'll have to push the bottom of your letter into the icing and that won't look as good. Be mindful of how 'deep' your icing is. Don't make the stake too long or it will either break when it hits the cake or your initial will be sticking up too high. Half an inch is plenty.

Regarding chocolate - it should NEVER be too hot too handle. Chocolate melts at 95 degrees. Body temp is 98.6, so the chocolate should feel warm. If it's hot, then you've overheated it and it may not perform well.

To pipe intricate designs like initials - or the webs on those Halloween cupcakes I did - you'll need to let your melted chocolate sit for a while until it begins to firm up again. Pour it into a parchment cone with no tip. Periodically test it by piping out a small amount. If it spreads, it's still too thin. If you get a nice firm line, it's ready. Keep in mind that the chocolate at the very tip may harden before the rest of the bag is ready. Just gently push the harden chocolate out the tip and proceed.

You can use a disposable decorating bag, but you'll get a nicer, rounder shape with a parchment bag.

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 15

I Like What DianeLM had to show. I did a Wedding with all cupcakes I had to put scrolling on all of them which was alot of work but I also had to make Chocolate hearts. to go onto each cupcake. I think it's a good Idea. I think royal Icing will word too but maynot be as good to eat. You can get candy melts in all kinds of colors and add flavors to them. I used Almond bark (don't know why its called that it's just chocolate.) I like how it melts. You can see the cupcakes in my photos. (I don't know how to make them smaller to attach)

C.C.C.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:14pm
post #12 of 15

You could also use colorflow...

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 15

I used white chocolate dusted with silver luster to do these cupcakes with hearts to match their invitations. I have also done this with initials in the past.

I just put my candy melts in a disposable piping bag, fold the end underneath, and put it in the microwave for 30 second incriments on half power, kneading them in between, until well melted. I then just snip the end off so that it is about the size of 2 tip.

For detailed decorations, I then pipe the chocolate into a decorating bottle with a tip 1 or 2.
LL

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:30pm
post #14 of 15

I forgot to add. When doing something like this, I always print off several sheets with my pattern. I then put that on a cake board, cover with wax paper, and start piping.

DianeLM Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 9:57pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

I forgot to add. When doing something like this, I always print off several sheets with my pattern. I then put that on a cake board, cover with wax paper, and start piping.

I do the exact same thing except I tape my papers to the back of a baking sheet. The metal cools off faster than a cardboard and doesn't warp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%