Moist Cake Recipe Needed

Decorating By TreatsbyLiz Updated 23 Jun 2005 , 8:29pm by edcjenv

TreatsbyLiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TreatsbyLiz Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 7

I have been using the cake mix doctor's recipes and they are usually fine. However, when I made my godson's b-day cake it ended up being so crumbly that I was embarrassed. icon_cry.gif

Now I am doing a 90th b-day cake for this weekend and I don't want the same thing to happen. Does anyone have a good recipe for a moist cake? Thanks so much!

6 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 7

Tres Leches Cake is definately moist.....and all so so good!!!!

TreatsbyLiz Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for such a quick response! I love tres leches, but you can't decorate it and tier it, can you? Just wondering.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 7

I did this past weekend....twice.......

TreatsbyLiz Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 7

what recipe did you use? I'll have to try it. They're Nicaraguan, so I know they'll love it!

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 7

Two things you could try:
1) after baking, wrap and freeze your cake before it cools completely, which will trap in some of the moisture.
2) use creamy fillings to balance the drier texture of the cake, and/or be sure to apply some sort of syrup (dabbed on with a pastry brush) to each cake layer. This syrup can be made using liquers or fruit jamsbasically, you mix some corn syrup with water, and add the flavouring of your choice. I used to work at a small bakery which kept a big jar of mysterious thin syrup which was used to moisten all the cakes. It contained water, sugar, a few bay leaves, lemons, oranges, a vanilla pod, and a few other bits that I cant remember it was lovely. A nice syrup for a white cake would be orange and lemon with a drop of almond flavour.

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 7

I just made the Strawberry Dream Cake I today -- that is extremely moist, you can tier it and decorate it. It's really good too!

I don't know if I should or not, but I usually substitute butter instead of veg. oil in boxed cake mixes...it makes them very moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%