Anyone A Girl Scout Leader?

Lounge By llee815 Updated 3 Sep 2006 , 10:43pm by mistiek2006

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 14

I just registered my DD to become a Girl Scout. Since she is 5 and this is her first year, she is considered a Daisy. I'm thinking of becoming a leader. Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't really know what to expect besides what is written in their pamphlets. I would like a more realistic notion of what to expect. Also, any ideas for different things to do would be appreciated also! Thanks.

Leslie

13 replies
alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 14

my mom was a leader if you would like to talk to her let me know and i will give you her email. she is very creative and she could give you lots of ideas

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 14

My dd was a daisy last year and is becoming a brownie soon. I am volunteering more this year.

Leaders have to attend meetings, help out at events, organize meetings. I think they have a whole book you go through and do what it says basically. I think it's all laid out for you...

Amy

llee815 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 14

I know I have about 8 hours of training to go through and tons of paperwork. It doesn't seem that hard. I just didn't want to sign up and become overwhelmed with things not listed. Thanks.

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 1:08am
post #5 of 14

I was a Daisy co-leader last year and our girls are bridging up to Brownies next week. We had a blast last year. The Daisy level is kind of low-key. We took a trip to the fire department and the 911-call center, did tons of crafts, played games, etc. As for our council, it's not very helpful. We do attend leader meetings once a month but that's about it. You are on your own basically. The Daisy Leader handbook isn't that helpful but there are a lot of great websites to get ideas for earning petals. (The Brownie Leader handbook is terrific.)

kos

llee815 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 2:13am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos

I was a Daisy co-leader last year and our girls are bridging up to Brownies next week. We had a blast last year. The Daisy level is kind of low-key. We took a trip to the fire department and the 911-call center, did tons of crafts, played games, etc. As for our council, it's not very helpful. We do attend leader meetings once a month but that's about it. You are on your own basically. The Daisy Leader handbook isn't that helpful but there are a lot of great websites to get ideas for earning petals. (The Brownie Leader handbook is terrific.)

kos

Do you know the websites offhand or would I have to do a search for them? I actually have NO CLUE what I'm getting myself into. No one I know has ever been in GS, but I'm also really excited about it. Thanks.

Leslie

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by llee815

...Do you know the websites offhand or would I have to do a search for them? I actually have NO CLUE what I'm getting myself into. No one I know has ever been in GS, but I'm also really excited about it. Thanks. Leslie

Here a few that I still have saved as "favorites".

http://www.alamitosmarina.org/dsylinks.html
http://www.bellaonline.com/misc/search.asp

This is a nice website for craft ideas for kids...
http://www.daniellesplace.com/html/crafts.html

You'll enjoy it. Use the petals to set the theme for what you will work on. If you want more help with ideas for earning the petals, let me know.

kos

llee815 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks kos. After your post yesterday, I did a search and there were SO MANY websites to choose from! I did find a couple websites I liked, but it really helps to have "tried and true" ones. Thanks again! I'm starting to get really excited about doing this! The GS person isn't going to be calling for a couple more weeks yet though, but by that time I'll probably have so many ideas on what to do!

....P.S. I should be studying for my Massage Therapist Certification test instead of "other things" but I just can't bring myself to study! icon_redface.gif

Karenging Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenging Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 12:38am
post #9 of 14

I've been a Leader for years, and I love it! thumbs_up.gif I don't always love the parents though thumbsdown.gif . This year, I have my youngest daughter's Junior Troop, and I'm also leading a Brownie Troop at my childrens school. I'm also the Program Consultant for our cluster. There are a few training classes that you will have to attend, and there are monthly leader meetings, that you will enjoy. I will be happy to answer any questions that you have. I think you will love Girl Scouts icon_biggrin.gif

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 6:12am
post #10 of 14

Hi I don't know if I can help I am not a leader. But My daughter is 2nd year brownie. Our first year (daisy) we tagged along with a fellow brownie troop and did some of the same things they did. But what I liked about our troop was that it was a parent involved troop. We didn't just go dump our kids off and leave. Each parent was a active help in our troop. We are all busy working moms.. And we all helped out. We each took a Badge and did a meeting per say. And at the end of the year when the above brownie were going to cross into girl scouts we did a Sat. meeting and wiped out about 8 badges in one day. We sat down and looked at the badges we need and some of the overlapping things that could be done. We had 8 girls and 6 moms so we each picked our things we were good at and worked together with the over lapping of badge requirements. If you could get parent support and help it is the way to go. I hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif Kay

mistiek2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistiek2006 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 7:31am
post #11 of 14

Hi, I'm both a brownie leader and a daisy leader. I will give you all the help that I can. I don't get on here much any more due to being busy but you are more than welcome to email me at home. My husband checks that one several times a day. I can tell you that the best source of info is the council office. THe trainings you have to complete are CPR/FirstAid, Daisy Age Level, and New Troop Leader Orientation. If you want to take the girls camping, there are additional trainings. I'm sending you my email address at home to you as a pm. Good luck and don't stress. It's a blast. Let the girls lead you.

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 2:24pm
post #12 of 14

I was a Girl Scout Leader in the 90's. I can say it was one of the best things I ever did. You do have to complete training, but it was a breeze and a whole lot of fun. Good luck!

llee815 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 5:24pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for all the support everyone!! I can't wait to start! Someone supposed to call us soon, hopefully next week. I'm still a bit nervous, but with all the support I've been getting, I think I'll do fine!

mistiek2006,
Do I still have to take the CPR/First Aid if I'm already certified? I just became certified in April so it's still valid.

Thanks again!!

Leslie

mistiek2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistiek2006 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 10:43pm
post #14 of 14

You have to take it every 3 yrs. THe national council is trying to get it approved for every 5 yrs. So no you're good for a while yet. Oh by the way, the troop usually pays for the trainings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%