Scratch Cakes

Decorating By kdhoffert Updated 1 Sep 2006 , 2:59am by steplite

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 19

What kind of cakes do you use most when making a cake from scratch? Butter, pound, sponge? Which holds up the best?

18 replies
prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 19

I have tried:

Southern Red Velvet
Fudge Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cake
Vanilla Cake

I made all of these from scratch (not at the same time) and they all came out moist and delicious. icon_smile.gif

gina1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina1221 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 19

I like to make my Italian Cream cake and most pound cakes (Almond Sour Cream and Lemon especially) from scratch.

kdhoffert Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 19

I haven't found a good scratch cake recipe that I really liked, so I was seeing what type of cakes people tended to use for their regular chocolate and white cake recipes.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 19

I usually make butter cakes, although I've also done plenty of pound cakes. All of them hold up pretty well.

nikisbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikisbakin Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 19

I make all of my cakes from scratch. I don't like box cakes because they have too many preservatives. I like for people to notice the difference in the quality and taste.

kdhoffert Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 19

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to find some good scratch recipes. Anyone have any they'd care to share?

pope77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pope77 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:06pm
post #8 of 19

I have not found any vanilla scratch cakes that I like. All that I have made seemed too heavy and dense. Has anyone used/liked any of the white/vanilla cakes on CC recipes?

kdhoffert Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 19

Glad to see I'm not the only one in search of good scratch recipes. On some of the recipes I've looked at they use coffee in them. Can you taste the coffee in the cake? Do you tend to use a chocolate flavored coffee? I absolutely hate coffee, so this has been a thing with me. I've seen a lot of the cake recipes with the coffee in it get good reviews. If you can't taste the coffee, then it'd be something I'd be willing to try. I would just hate to make a cake for it to go to waste because you could taste it.

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:14pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhoffert

Glad to see I'm not the only one in search of good scratch recipes. On some of the recipes I've looked at they use coffee in them. Can you taste the coffee in the cake? Do you tend to use a chocolate flavored coffee? I absolutely hate coffee, so this has been a thing with me. I've seen a lot of the cake recipes with the coffee in it get good reviews. If you can't taste the coffee, then it'd be something I'd be willing to try. I would just hate to make a cake for it to go to waste because you could taste it.

Now depending on the amount NO you can not taste the coffee it kind of taste like a hershy bar you get the sweet and at the end of it all you get the coco with out the coffee all you get is the sweet without the coca flavor ( does this make sense? )

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:

There are quite a few posts on here about scratch cakes and plenty of recipes have been shared. If you do a search, you should find a lot of good recipes. The Cake Bible is a great source for scratch recipes.

I've added coffee to chocolate cakes before and I've never tasted a "coffee" flavor. I think the coffee just enhances the chocolate flavor while making it moist, it should not be noticeable unless the cake is called "mocha" or something like that.

kdhoffert Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:16pm
post #12 of 19

do you use just regular coffee, or do you use chocolate flavored coffee?

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:16pm
post #13 of 19

I'd love some good recipes & some good tips - for example, my scratch cakes keep coming out w/ a "crust" on top and sometimes on the sides.... never experienced that with DH mix. Someone told me that the sugar in it "carmelizes" and to cook at a lower temperature - so I thought I'd pass along the tip for others to try....

I was searching for a vanilla cake recipe a week ago and didn't come up with any - there's lots of white cake recipes but not necessarily Vanilla.....

I was thinking of trying that cinnamon-vanilla cake from the Food Network - has anyone else tried it? Any good??

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:18pm
post #14 of 19

I have just posted my favorite white cake recipe that I developed several years ago. It's very light, easy to make and tastes great. It's my most requested cake. My chocolate and lemon are 2nd and 3rd.

I do have a cookbook that has my scratch recipes in it. I have quite a few since I do all my baking from scratch. If anyone is interested you are welcome to write to me to get ordering information.

Michele

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:24pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:

do you use just regular coffee, or do you use chocolate flavored coffee?

I've always used regular coffee, or espresso powder. Both work well. I have not tried chocolate flavored coffee.

kdhoffert Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:34pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

I'd love some good recipes & some good tips - for example, my scratch cakes keep coming out w/ a "crust" on top and sometimes on the sides.... never experienced that with DH mix. Someone told me that the sugar in it "carmelizes" and to cook at a lower temperature - so I thought I'd pass along the tip for others to try....

I was searching for a vanilla cake recipe a week ago and didn't come up with any - there's lots of white cake recipes but not necessarily Vanilla.....

I was thinking of trying that cinnamon-vanilla cake from the Food Network - has anyone else tried it? Any good??

I haven't tried it but saw it. I thought of omitting the cinnamon and see how good of a vanilla cake it is.

MelissaLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaLynn Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:38pm
post #17 of 19

Here are some really good one's I've tried:
Strawberry from Scratch (on this site)
All Occasion Yellow Downy (Cake Bible)
The chocolate cake recipe on the back of Hereshy's Cocoa box (sub cake flour IMHO)
White Spice Pund Cake (cake Bible)
Layered Lemon Cake w/ lemon filling (allrecipes.com) I adjust this one a bit
All American Chocolate Fudge (?) (Cake Bible)

kdhoffert Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:46pm
post #18 of 19

looks like a lot people use cakes from the cake bible. how do the chocolate cakes in colette peters and others similar stack up?

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 2:59am
post #19 of 19

I love Toba Garrett's moist yellow cake, Slyvia's Weinstock's Classic yellow cake and Wilton's butter cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%