Filling Vs. Icing

Decorating By hollybu20 Updated 1 Sep 2006 , 3:35am by german

hollybu20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollybu20 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 18

Hi everyone! Newbie here and I have a silly question I'm sure. I read all of your posts and picture details, and I see that most of you use some sort of filling in between your layers. I'm new to decorating, well pro-decorating, so I want all of your opinions. I grew up eating eating my mom's cakes and she always used the buttercream between the layers as well as to frost. Is there a particular reason you all use fillings, like the raspberry one I read so much about? Does it make it easier to stack cakes? Prettier? I'm making my first three tiered cake and I wanted to know if you all thought I should use a filling in between layers rather than buttercream. Thank you all so much for your help, you have no idea how helpful you are to us newbie's!!

17 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 18

Using BC between your layers certainly makes it easier but I think it is not as tasty as some of the other fillings out there... and you can combine some for great flavor combo's. Frosting between they layers isn't bad, I think it's just more simple.

I know that everyone who asks for cake always wants a filling.... french vanilla custard is the most popular and then whipped ganache or that raspberry puree too.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 18

Different fillings give a great variety on a plain ol' white cake. It's also a great way to try different flavor combinations.

The cake I'm doing for Sept. 8th is a white chocolate cake with a homemade blackberry filling! I'm sad that I won't be getting my own piece of that one!

Amy

hollybu20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollybu20 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 18

Is there any kind of trick to matching up a filling with a cake? Like, the french vanilla custard filling, what kind of cake would you use that with?

bekahscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahscakes Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 18

I think adding a filling does make the cake look prettier when cut. I also think that some of the combinations you can get from different flavors of cake and filling are delicious.

CakeDiva73 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 18

I think the FVC filling goes with everything... I have some friends and that is all they order and they always want french vanilla cake with it. I really think a rich, chocolate cake with FVC is to die for!! icon_lol.gif

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 18

how much filling do you put in between the layers. Do you torte or just put between each cake layer? I don't have success at torte and putting a filling between those layers. My cakes just fall apart!

CakeDiva73 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 18

I usually 'pipe the dam' which is to put relatively thick BC in a bag with the coupler and no tip or the big round one and after I have torted my cake, I pipe a stream of frosting around the edge to create a well for the filling to rest. Then put your filling in and top with the cake layer. Repeat until you have used all your layers. Then once I have leveled it and made sure the layers are all even, I pop it in the fridge for at least 20 -30 minutes to let it set up, otherwise, if it's warm out, when I go to crumb coat, it will cause my layers to shift... which makes want to scream icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif

I have finally realized that to get the cakes frosted and filled so they look like they do in the books ( or in the gallery here icon_lol.gif ) you have to fill, fridge, frost, fridge, frost again, fridge and decorate...... cripes icon_redface.gif I sound like I have it all figured out! Tell me again why the cake I made this weekend started to melt? icon_lol.gif

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 18

I think it's what you perfer. Filling just taste better.

pope77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pope77 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 18

CakeDiva73 - omg!!! I just learned about putting the cake into the fridge inbetween doing steps of icing the cake and it worked out soooooo much better! How come my wilton instructor never told me about this trick icon_confused.gif

jessireb Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:18pm
post #11 of 18

Do you put a thin layer of filling? 1/8" thick?

german Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
german Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:22pm
post #12 of 18

icon_lol.gif Fillings ae great! What is the differents between a cake from walmart and a cake decorator? For one the quality of the cake and the variety of fillings.

jessireb Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 18

Hey I just realized I am now a frequent member! Not quite an addict yet! Just a CC addict!

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:25pm
post #14 of 18

Now girls I know that this may not be the correct way to use a filling but i have the same problem with the slippy sliddy layers and melty goop out the sides. I have fouund if I take one cup of stiff stiff buter cream and mix with two cups of whatever filling that it does not slide around so much . Now to deal with the color of the fillings i add a drop or two of whatever the color of the filling is supposed to be in when i mix the two together.
Icing dams do work i have found though if you let them set or fridge them for 5-10 min you will not have as much of a sliding effect ....

hope this helps

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:27pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by german

icon_lol.gif Fillings ae great! What is the differents between a cake from walmart and a cake decorator? For one the quality of the cake and the variety of fillings.

Not always the case my walmart will fill cakes for no extra cost !!!!!!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 9:54pm
post #16 of 18

Cakemommy would you be willing to share that Blackberry filling recipe... Blackberry yuummmmm

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 10:01pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Using BC between your layers certainly makes it easier but I think it is not as tasty as some of the other fillings out there... and you can combine some for great flavor combo's. Frosting between they layers isn't bad, I think it's just more simple.

I know that everyone who asks for cake always wants a filling.... french vanilla custard is the most popular and then whipped ganache or that raspberry puree too.

CakeDiva...will you share this recipe? Thanks...

german Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
german Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:35am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by german

Not always the case my walmart will fill cakes for no extra cost !!!!!!

thumbs_up.gif I guess what I meant was the quality not neccesary the price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%