Bride Wants To Use Poisonous Flowers!

Decorating By bakeyclacker Updated 12 Jul 2007 , 7:20am by 7yyrt

bakeyclacker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeyclacker Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 17

I'm making a wedding cake in Aug. for a bride who would really like orchids, calla-lilies and roses on her cake. The orchids really do look great on the photo she showed me and I'd like to use them, but I've heard that the orchids and lilies are poisonous. How do I get around that? I've checked my local craft stores for silk flowers, but orchids are a bit hard to find. Can I use the actual flowers and candy them or something? What have you seen done with these? Thanks for any sort of suggestion you can offer!

16 replies
MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 17

I am not sure about the poisonous facotr but my initial response is NO WAY!!!! Do not use any flower on the cake that might compromise the safety of your food. Somewhere here is a link to a post about safe flowers. I would read that. I would also call a local florist that you are used to working with and ask!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 17

http://www.cakecentral.com/article18-List-of-Non-Toxic-Flowers-for-Garnishing-your-Cake.html

Here's an article with a list. I also have a couple of lists from the internet .... one for toxic and one for non-toxic and orchids are not on either of them. icon_confused.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 17

Use silk or gumpaste. Do not use real ones!! Explain to her it is not possible to put a toxic flower on the cake. This site has inexpensive flowers that look great:

www.wholesalesugarflowers.com

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 17

You might explain to her that the stamen would possibly drop the pollen onto the cake, or the cake table. Who would want a piece of that?? Good luck with your challenge.

bakeyclacker Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks for the listing and suggestions! I'm hoping to just find silk flowers I think. Maybe I'll have to buy a potted silk plant to get the orchids or something, but you're right: it's no good to put the flowers on there that would harm someone. Thanks everyone!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:17pm
post #7 of 17

http://www.cakecentral.com/article18-List-of-Non-Toxic-Flowers-for-Garnishing-your-Cake.html

Here's an article with a list. I also have a couple of lists from the internet .... one for toxic and one for non-toxic and orchids are not on either of them. icon_confused.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 17

If you decide to use gumpaste flowers instead and want to purchase them, here is a link to a good site that has them inexpensive: http://www.discountsugarflowers.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=4

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 17

here's a humorous explanation of how most orchids are not just edible -- but delicacy.

in fact often used for garnish on foods in trendy restaurants.

and

we have orchids to thank for a favored flavoring:

vanilla!

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/orchids/msg1111293112286.html

ennove11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ennove11 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:28pm
post #10 of 17

Maybe you've already decided to look for silk flowers, but I'm pretty sure orchids are safe. See here:
http://www.alohafriends.com/Hawaii_weddingatmosphere.html
I had orchids on my wedding cake. And I've had orchids decorating my food at decent restaurants too.

Then again, I _know_ calla lilies are toxic, and I had those on my cake too! This was before I knew anything about toxic vs. non-toxic flowers. I didn't even request calla lilies on my cake, the florist just used them! No one got sick, thankfully.
If you do use fresh flowers, you have to make sure to get ones that aren't sprayed with anything, because chemical sprays can be very toxic too.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:32pm
post #11 of 17
jesaltuve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesaltuve Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 10:32pm
post #12 of 17

You can probably call a local farm that also sells edible flowers. Try the specialty or organic farms. There are several types of orchids that are edible and can be put on cakes. MAny florists would even have them. A gourmet market will also have them and be able to tell you what is edible. (like a whole foods)
http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm
This site has some good info and lists too.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 11:27pm
post #13 of 17

um, you CAN remove the stamens. I do that when I display them in the house in a certain room because otherwise I risk staining a light colored sofa.

xpressioncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xpressioncakes Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 5:01pm
post #14 of 17

Roses, orchids and some lillies are edible.

Now, the problem is that -unfortunately- very few are grown for the purpose of being eaten, and the fertilizers and pesticides used on them are highly toxic.

Unless you can get them from a trustworthy organic grower, it's a risk.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 5:22pm
post #15 of 17

I know you've gotten a lot of responses. I too have used orchids and calla lillies on cakes, no problems. The calla lily petal is huge keeping the insides in, so it's not a big concern that you're going to have pollen all over the cake. But the only thing I was going to ask was, did you ask the bride if she wanted you to replace the flowers with silk ones? Silk orchids look pretty fake, so she may not want them. I would consult the bride before searching for silk orchids.

bakeyclacker Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 7:49pm
post #16 of 17

It looks like I'll be needing to chat with the bride before purchasing anything. Thank you for your listings on sugar flowers at a discount. I may even use those because the just look so beautiful. Ideally I'd just be able to make them myself, but I've not tried that before. It's also good to know that orchids (if grown w/o chemicals) are edible. That's worth checking into. I'm so glad you've all responded, as I had no idea that there were so many options. Thank you all!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:20am
post #17 of 17

I know you've decided against it, but wanted to put this in case someone else was curious...

If you allow poisonous flowers to be put on the cake and someone gets hurt, or God forbid dead - YOU are responsible and can be held legally and CRIMINALLY liable!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%