cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 22

icon_sad.gif

21 replies
tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 22

Tell her you will be happy to offer another tasting. The cost will be 30 dollars per person.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 22

If you do another consultation, I would make sure to charge her for it. I would tell her that unfortunatly you can't honor her coupon since her order total is not $350, but maybe create a special coupon for her for a future cake order? Like, $xx off an anniversary cake, or a dozen free cupcakes with order over $xx. That way you're not cheating other customers, but you are showing her she is a valued customer. Plus, this brings back more business.

Just an idea. icon_smile.gif
Good luck,
Diana

lrstone98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrstone98 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 22

Good idea couturiere. And be prepared for them to be like this for the whole transaction. If they are already being weird and they only have gotten through a tasing...

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 22

I agree! They are reeling you in so they can stuff you and hang you on the wall! Sounds like a snow job to me!
First they are happy as clams and then the cake isn't moist enough? Give me a break! NO WAY would I let them use the coupon. You need to be a woman of your word and integrity is everything in business! I can just hear them at the reception, " we knew she was desperate for our order and we suckered her into giving us this lovely cake for half off." This pair sounds like trouble!

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 22

What would Walmart do with an expired coupon??? Thats the answer to your question. And as far as second tastings....sounds like they are shopping around. If its no big deal then do it. If not then that may be a loss in a sale.

Good Luck!

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 22

Amy,

I was looking at your diet info under your sig. YOU GO GIRL!

Mickig icon_lol.gif

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 22

Stick to your guns! If the coupon states $350 and over...than it's $350 and over. Some people are pros at this stuff!

Did you charge them for the first taste testing? You can always tell them that there will be a charge for the second (to make sure you cover your time and expense). If they decline...I say, good riddance! icon_smile.gif

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 22

I would be a little cautious. People who start out this difficult only get worse! Then you'll feel like it wasn't even worth $300 to deal with them both.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 22

Thanks for the encouragement, Mickig!

I appreciate everyone's opinions on this post. Since posting this, I have received a SECOND email from the bride, stating how "talented and creative" I am, and "we really want to work with you, but..." I just have the feeling that I'm going to be on the receiving end of "Bridezilla" episode if I follow through with a second consultation. She says, "we want to make sure that the second samples are MORE moist than the first MOIST samples." What the $^&@??? Does she want cake soup moist? How darn moist do you want it? Do you want wring your wedding cake out moist? Folks, I don't get it!!! I'd dare to say that 90% of my compliments are on my cake flavors and the moistness of my cakes alone. I want this order...I really want to add this cake to my portfolio, to be honest...but at what price??? She's obviously going to be impossible to please. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep the advice coming, please!!! I haven't yet responded to her emailed requests... I can tell you that in no way, shape or fashion will I allow her to use a coupon that doesn't apply to her specific order. Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:25pm
post #11 of 22

Amy tell her that is your moist recipe and you dont know how to make it more moist without altering the taste. So basically take it or leave it. I think she is going to be a picky one.

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:28pm
post #12 of 22

I agree with Lalana. After it's all said and done, it may not be worth the effort. I would DEFINATELY charge her again for a consultation - any other cake shop would - especially if she's having the same cake! That's just crazy. I would also not accept the coupon. It clearly states what it is for, I wouldn't make an exception just to get an order - don't compromise your integrity. Good luck!

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 22

I agree . . . sounds like they want a second tasting and complained about the quality for one reason: Your the baker they would prefer but someone else they tasted was giving them a lower price. Stick to your guns--I would rather pay more for a quality cake than serve my guests something cheap and tasteless. Your time and talents are worth it. I agree with not taking the expired coupon . . . but something like a free cookie order for the shower or cupcakes . . . that sounds like a good compromise and an offer a reasonable customer cannot refuse. (Also, tell her that you would normally charge a second consultation fee, but you would be happy to waive it in this circumstance. You would seem like such a sweetie and hopefully fool the customer into thinking they are getting a better deal.)

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:32pm
post #14 of 22

Dear Bridzilla from he!!:

Thank you for all your lovely compliments.... I am very proud of my work. I am sorry I cannot honor your coupon since the order is not $350 and it will have expired, but please accept this coupon for 20% off your anniversary cake. I am happy to schedule you for another tasting, if you like. The fee is $30. Please let me know which dates and times would work best for you and your Mother.

Sincerest Blah, Blah, Blah you miserable, penny-pinching nightmare of a bride! icon_lol.gif

Seriously, don't let her push you around. And as for this 'moist is not moist enough' they really sound like they want a deal! Give us free cake samples.... twice, a discount off the cake, even though we didn't spend enough... and oh yeah, please do the BEST job you can do... but it really doesn't matter since either way, I will find something to complain about so I can hopefully get you to refund the entire price as well as pay for my honeymoon so I don't badmouth you. ( How do you think I got this lovely gown for so cheap? icon_razz.gif )

sugarnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarnut Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 10:38pm
post #15 of 22

I would not only charge for the second tasting, but tell them that your cakes are made the same every time so there is consistancy, and they aren't going to change the second time. Also, I would make sure to have an iron clad contract that they sign if you work with them. They're going to cause you a lot of trouble... The idea of a seperate coupon is a great idea!

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 10:58pm
post #16 of 22

Boy - these ladies have nerve, I tell ya! I've gotten wedding cake orders and never even did taste testing - even though I offered.

I like the coupon idea for something other than the wedding cake. Other places don't let you use a coupon that doesn't apply, why should you? Definitely charge them for the second consult, and if they bark about that, maybe you should cut your losses. I think I'd ignore the whole moist comment, and make exactly what you did before. Wedding cake is usually a little more dense than normal cake, because it's being stacked, decorated elaborately, etc.

What a pain these women are! They are definitely trying to see how far they can push you! Why can't you make the cake and add it to your portfolio and not HAVE to do it for them. Split it out and give it to your neighbors, friends, enemies, whatever. icon_razz.gif

Good luck! Keep us posted!

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:01pm
post #17 of 22

From what everyone else has said about Bridezilla's, she sure seems to be turning into one.

I agree that a coupon for future cakes would be good, charge if they want a consultation on the same cakes again, don't change your recipes, and stick to your guns.

If she walks, then she walks, let her go to wal-mart to get her cake. Saves you a major headache!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:07pm
post #18 of 22

Charge for the second tasting; let her know that the charge will be applied to the cake price if she orders from you (if you're OK with this). I guess you could add a bit of a simple syrup to make it more moist, but caution her that if it's too moist the cake could collapse if stacked, tiered or covered in fondant or has extra weight from decorations/flowers. Otherwise, let the girl go. Not worth it!
P.S. Make sure she pays in full 2 weeks before the wedding, or you don't make the cake, plus she loses her 50% deposit!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 11:54pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyamym

Thanks for the encouragement, Mickig!

I appreciate everyone's opinions on this post. Since posting this, I have received a SECOND email from the bride, stating how "talented and creative" I am, and "we really want to work with you, but..." I just have the feeling that I'm going to be on the receiving end of "Bridezilla" episode if I follow through with a second consultation.
Amy

Oh brother! This is straight out of Stephanie Stewart's "Fire Your Wedding Planner" advice! "We really want to work with you but.....!" She tells her brides to basically butter up the vendors but insist on getting the price/deal/reception/whatever the bride wants. Don't get me wrong .... Stephanie gives a lot of good advice, but I'm insulted that she thinks the "oh you're so good and so talented and we want to use YOU so bad!" butt-kissing comments will cause me to lower my standards and "give away" my product, and that we can't see it for what it is.

I agree with the others. If they are this much trouble now, you dont' want to deal with it. Sometimes you just have to know when to walk away.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:12am
post #20 of 22

Okay, I'm lost on the coupon, but if you gaveher a coupon and it is expired and she still wants you to honor it tell her that her loss is her loss.

As for the second tasting, cut your losses now. Tell her that you couldn't respond toher e-mail because you were busy working with a PAYING customer who gave you her down payment for that day. Would Duff take stuff from this woman? Heck no! He'd send Mary Alice out to handle it!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:19am
post #21 of 22

Good point deb!

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:42am
post #22 of 22

You said:
I appreciate everyone's opinions on this post. Since posting this, I have received a SECOND email from the bride, stating how "talented and creative" I am, and "we really want to work with you, but..."

I'm on page one of your post and I'm not seeing anything but a frown face...no text except for your diet info (by the way, great job on that!!). Anyway, all I was going to say is this, and this struck me immediately when reading your reply: the bride using the word BUT.....you know what they say about that..........?? Anytime you say something then use the word BUT, it pretty much negates everything you just said !!! I know you're really, really, really, talented BUT ......... gotta watch out for folks when they start that kind of stuff. There's a gal that I work with that does this alot......she'll say "I don't mean to complain, BUT......", "I don't mind working overtime shifts, BUT........". Boy does that stuff get old !!!

I won't solicit anymore advice since I didn't get your original post....all I can say is good luck with this one. Hang in there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%