How Do I Prep A Cake Dummy

Decorating By laxgal00 Updated 10 Jul 2007 , 4:07am by susanscakebabies

laxgal00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laxgal00 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 8

greetings;
I am sure there have been threads on the subject but have not been able to find exactly what i need. I am doing my first bridal show and want to do a dummy cake so that i can keep using it. what i would like to know is how to i prep the styrofoam. do i need an adhearant. do i frost it with icing first (obviously not buttercream since it will rot) but like - do i use royal icing to frost first and then fondant? if i am making a multi layer - do i dowel it so that the layers do not shift? and then with the details like borders and such - do i use royal for that as well. i found plenty of stuff on how to store and their shelf life, but need other info as well. if anyone has tips and tricks to make it go easier please let me know. thanks for all your help in advance.

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 8

I do mine in BC only (and it doesn't "rot" icon_wink.gif ). It turns very hard when applied to dummies - you can touch it all you want and no fingerprints or dents! I keep mine up for months. I don't grease, saran, press-n-seal or anything. Just BC slapped right on the stryrofoam!

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 8

When I used fondant I just needed to use a little pipig gel to get it to stick to the styro. As far as the doweling I would do that or just let it dry and glue the layers. But I should bump that question. I haven't tiered one yet.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I do mine in BC only (and it doesn't "rot" icon_wink.gif ). It turns very hard when applied to dummies - you can touch it all you want and no fingerprints or dents! I keep mine up for months. I don't grease, saran, press-n-seal or anything. Just BC slapped right on the stryrofoam!

Do you make the BC like you would for a cake your going to eat?? Im trying to make a fake cake with fondant and for some reason cant get the fondant to stick i used gumpaste on the sides rolled it thick , then thin dont have a clue but this BC sound like a winner to me

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanscakebabies

When I used fondant I just needed to use a little pipig gel to get it to stick to the styro. As far as the doweling I would do that or just let it dry and glue the layers. But I should bump that question. I haven't tiered one yet.

Do you use just fondant or a mixture of Gumpaste/fondant

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Do you make the BC like you would for a cake your going to eat?? Im trying to make a fake cake with fondant and for some reason cant get the fondant to stick i used gumpaste on the sides rolled it thick , then thin dont have a clue but this BC sound like a winner to me

Same icing that I use on my cakes, except I omit the vanilla (no one's eating it). When I use it on my cakes, it crusts well but is still soft. When I use it on styrofoam, it turns hard as concrete. (which makes it GREAT for transporting, too!)

When you want to clean it off, you just get a knife under the icing and run the knife around the styrofoam. The BC pops right off with no damage to the dummy. Wash with a warm soapy washcloth and it's ready to go again.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 8

When I cover cake dummies with fondant, I mist the styrofoam lightly with water before applying the fondant. The water acts as glue.

It also helps to round the top edge as it is very sharp. I press mine on the table or you can also trim it.

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 4:07am
post #8 of 8

[quote="miriel"]When I cover cake dummies with fondant, I mist the styrofoam lightly with water before applying the fondant. The water acts as glue.

Ooh, good tip, save the piping gel! thanks for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%