Cheesecake Relocation

Decorating By Lalana Updated 31 Aug 2006 , 11:31pm by knoxcop1

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 13

How in the heck do I transfer a cheesecake from the springform base to a cake board?? Stupidly enough I tried putting wax paper on the bottom of the pan, but a waterbath and wax paper don't mix. DUH! I get to start over now and would like some help if anyone knows how.

12 replies
bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 13

heat the bottom of the pan on a stove burner - run a knife around the sides - turn the cheescake over onto a cake board the it larger and covered in plastic wrap - put your correct cake board on the bottom of the cheesecake and flip - I don't use springform pans at all - just my regular cake pans - use this method alot

Lalana Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 13

I didn't think I could flip it without causing major damage. It doesn't stick to the plastic wrap? Do you bake yours in a water bath?

tthardy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tthardy78 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 13

I wrap a board in reynolds wrap and then fill and bake, I don't bake in a water bath though. Hopes this helps.

bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 13

I do bake in a water bath - cheesecake holds up fine to being flipped - after cooling overnight - I use the cheesecake recipe out of The Cake Bible - very tender & yummy cheesecake - I've baked with the crust on and without - haven't had any problems with it sticking to the plastic wrap....

Lalana Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 13

thank you so much bakers 2. I guess I shouldn't be such a chicken about it since I am having to redo it much further into the process than if I'd tried flipping it! I will definitely try that this next week when I redo the cake.
tthardy78- OK forgive me for being a little slow, but are you saying you cover the board and put it into the bottom of the pan and bake with it in there?

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:26am
post #7 of 13

i line my pan with parchment paper.

then i fill with the crust and the filling.

then i double up some aluminum foil and and wrap the outside of my pan carefully.

then i put that into the water bath.

when its cooled and refrigerated over night i take off the sides of the springform pan, put a board on top of the cake and flip that.

remove the bottom of the springform pan and flip the cake again.

and you have successfully removed the cake.

it must be well chilled or else it will collapse on itself.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:36am
post #8 of 13

knoxcop1 does cheesecakes ALL the time, she may be able to tell u her method

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 13

I don't mess with mine until it's been chilled (either refrigerated or put in the freezer- depending on how much time you have). It's much easier to mess with when it's cold. Anyway, I put a cake board on top, then turn it over, the put a cake board/serving plate/whatever you are putting it on on the bottom and then flip back over and take the top board off.

Lalana Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 13

thanks everyone! I guess the verdict is that I can flip it. It sure is nice to have a place to ask my questions and get answers from experienced and nice people!! CC is the best!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 11:10pm
post #11 of 13

I just put a round cake board in the bottom of my spring form pan! I don't do a water bath though, I just wrap the sides and bottom of the pan in foil! It works great for me!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 11:16pm
post #12 of 13

For perfect cheesecake every time, wrap the base with reynolds wrap release. Put a parchment collar inside the pan and bake. No need for a water bath and perfect cheesecake every time.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 13

There's a couple ways to do it--the girls here have all got good ones!

The ticket to moving a cheesecake is---GET IT COLD! Either the freezer or fridge--and plenty of it! icon_smile.gif

I do mine by covering a cake board trimmed to just under the size of the springform pan in heavy duty Reynolds wrap. Spray that baby with cooking oil spray.

Put it in the bottom of your pan. Spray the pan with the oil spray and fill. You can either bake with a water bath or without.

Take it out of the oven. Run a butter knife around the edges of the pan. Let it cool down. Place either in the fridge or freezer--still in the pan.

Give it about 4 hours in the freezer or 8 hours in the fridge. Run the knife around the edges again--just to make sure.

Pop off the springform. Holding it by the bottom, you should now be looking at the bottom of the pan, a foil-covered cake board, and your cheesecake. Pry the crust off the cake board with the butterknife--and voila'!

You should now be able to place it anywhere you like!

(If you froze it--don't worry about condensation--just leave it out to air dry--don't seal it up in tupperware or whatever 'til it dries--and it'll be fine!)

Pics in my gallery. I have 12 cheesecakes due by Friday--LABOR DAY PICNICS!! tapedshut.gif

HTH,
--Knox--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%