Delivery Question

Business By mrskennyprice Updated 31 Aug 2006 , 7:12pm by pope77

mrskennyprice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrskennyprice Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, maybe I'm supremely stupid, but on my last delivery, I had a 10" round tier on the bottom and a 6" square on top. The round tier was on a round cake board that I then put on a foamcore 'serving' board. Not only did I not 'affix' the cake to the round board with icing, but I completely forgot to affix the round board to the serving board. Since the delivery was about an hour and a half away, you can guess what happened. Thankfully, only the bottom border got messed up, and the customer was very understanding.

How would you have handled this so that the cake didn't slide around in the car? Should I have used royal icing? Won't that be yucky when they go to serve the cake and it's cemented to the cake board? I used a whole butter buttercream, so I can't imagine that would have worked too well to keep the cake together, especially once it reached room temp. Oh, I should clarify - the tiers stayed together fine, it seems the entire cake slid around on the serving board and the bottom border got smashed up.

6 replies
tthardy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tthardy78 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 7

I only use a dab of icing to attach my cakes to the boards and then use nonskid shelf liner between the cake and the foamcore.

pope77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pope77 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 7

My wilton instructor puts her cakes on memory foam (mattress covering, cut into cake sized pieces.) She says her cakes never move! I have not had an opportunity to try it though.

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 7

I use the same trick, with the mattress foam, but I actually use the egg-crate style mattress pad. Works like a dream!! I learned this from a bakery I worked at, and have used it ever since. (This works especially well for cake plates with feet, as they just rest snugly inside the little egg crates).

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 7

I also use nonskid shelf liner. You can get a large squre at walmart for .88 where I live.... Definatly worth it for the piece of mind!

mrskennyprice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrskennyprice Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 7

thanks all - i appreciate those suggestions...could i ask for an exact breakdown of what you all do? are you saying that you put the shelf liner/foam under the cakeboard so that it doesn't touch the cake? if that's the case, how do you get the cake itself to adhere to the board? or do you put the stuff between the cake and the board? sorry, I'm just having trouble visualizing this!

pope77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pope77 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 7

I believe you put put your cake on whatever cakeboard/platter and set that ontop of the eggcrate, no need to fasten it to it, and it should stay and not slide at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%