First Time Using Fondant

Decorating By BoothsBest Updated 9 Jul 2007 , 6:01pm by marksmom

BoothsBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoothsBest Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, I have never tried fondant before. I have been too afraid, and I keep hearing how bad the Wilton tastes. But, I think I am ready to try.

I have been asked to make a pirate themed baby shower cake. I plan to make one similar to Junecakes pirate one in the galleries. (Making a few changes and I am sure mine will not look nearly as good)

Any suggestions for working with fondant. I think Iwill cover the cake in BC and only use fondant accents like on her's. If I plan to do that will it be ok to use the Wilton fondant? That is all I have access to where I am and I know I don't want to try making it the first time. I wouldn't know the right consistency or texture. I don't want to order another brand from somewhere else until I know for sure I will like using it.

How do I color it? Can I use the same Wilton colors I use for coloring BC?

I would appreciate any and all help and suggestions.

Thanks,

2 replies
teasom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teasom Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 3

I think the Wilton fondant would be fine for accents. I get what you're saying about not wanting to try to make it the first time. You use the same paste colors on the fondant that you use for your icing and knead them in until the color is uniform throughout. Some people wear gloves because the color will stain your hands while you are kneading it in. If you want any of your accents to dry hard, you might want to add a teaspoon or so of gum-tex to a small ball of fondant before making your accents. Have fun!

marksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marksmom Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 3

I was gonna cover my daughter's wedding cake with Wilton fondant......until i took a bite......over the trash can i went. You might try using flavoring for it. I haven't tried that yet. It's very east to roll out and looked beautiful on the practice cake......but i wouldn't serve that to my dog. I have been hearing good stuff about Satin Ice but haven't found any here in rural KS yet!! If all ya have avail. is wilton, definitely try using some flavoring!!!!!!
Gina

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%