Extras Pricing

Business By Vere Updated 9 Jul 2007 , 6:38pm by Vere

Vere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vere Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, so if the price per slice has been decided.........

I take it all of these other elements should be charged extra

Would you all please help me out by suggesting how much for each element

As far as I know, no one in my area does cakes like this

This was done for a benefit auction, and I have no clue how much it brought, and it really wouldn't be relevant anyway

so, there is...
fondant covered that is painted--would this be 2 charges?
rice crispy cat head
gumpaste flowers
gumpaste tissue paper
the "design" element--if each cake is indivdually designed, and not done again, is this priced

Please be kind icon_smile.gif
This is only the 4th cake I've made

It had 2 14" layers in the bottom and 3 partial 9" layers in the hat crown
cats head was "lifesize"
LL

4 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 5

Wow.. that is a great cake. Your painting is execllent. I would definitely charge for the painting.. how long did it take? Gumpaste flowers.. charge per flower think about your supplies and your time and check out what the places on line charge per flower.. and charge more because you aren't mass producing them. For the tissue and the kitty I'd charge a lump fee.

That is a nice cake!! If this is only your 4th cake... watch out world!! icon_smile.gif

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 5

"please be kind"? are you kidding me, that cake is absolutely fantastic - great job

aroostookcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aroostookcakes Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 5

Beautiful cake! My sister is a huge cat fanatic and I was going to make a cat cake for her birthday in August. Now I know what I'll make, thanks! Anyway you can upload it so I can save it in my favorites. I'd appreciate that. I agree with them about charging for the painting. I charge $5-$15 for fondant depending on how much I use. Definatly charge for the gumpaste flowers.

Vere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vere Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 5

you guys are so nice..thanks

my daughter volunteers for a therapeutic riding program which has a benefit day to coincide with the running of the Kentucky Derby

I asked if I could do a cake for them
they, having no idea what they were in for, said sure

so I thought of doing a hat, since hats are such a "large" thing for the derby, then I saw a photo of a hat in a hatbox with tissue paper, and thought that would make a great cake, then my daughter suggested having one of the barn cats poking his head out from under the hat--his name is "trouble"

so, they decided to auction the cake after they saw it
I told them if it was well received, they could auction one (same size) to be done sometime in the next year--which they did

the lady who won the auction asked if she could give it to a friend for her wedding present--and so, she would like it for her wedding....yikes

the pic she showed me was just 2-3 tiers together with sillouette small flowers on it and 2 sillouette birds--I've seen it in a magazine, and I'm sure some of you have too. When I showed her my cakes, and the direction I'd like to pursue, she was very excited about the kind of cake she would end up with instead

so, I'm learning all about stacking cakes, etc.
the cake is for 75 people and I'm trying to decide whether to go taller or larger diameter and shorter--which would be sturdier for moving, but maybe not as glamorous

we've decided on a fondant covered cake, with the piped icing, brushed flowers, leaves, vines, etc, with gumpaste flowers and fruit spilling out--with a box lid--something like wildflowersbylori.com does, but I've seen them elsewhere also

apparently, she didn't like the painted fondant
so, I'm learning everything I can about making acceptable cakes, so she won't have to be embarrassed, and will have fond memories of her cake

so, thinking this might be something I might like to pursue on the side, I'm trying to figure how to price, and am sure having a hard time trying to figure that out, as well as slice sizes, etc......sure is a complicated world in here icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%