Sharing My Cake!

Decorating By Darthburn Updated 30 Aug 2006 , 7:53pm by Aztec9206

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:34am
post #1 of 11

I'm new to all of this, and as I have mention in other posts, I'm learning from practice and reading on the internet. So far I made a practice cake, a cake for my mom, and now a cake for my wife. It's really fun.

I wanted to share the third cake with you all. It's Jack Skellington and I made it for my wifes birthday tomorrow. the base is 2 layer 12 x 14 chocolate that was originally going to be a tombstone, but I never cut due to how much cake would be wasted. His body is 4 layer 4 x 8. His neck is actually a Scott towel roll wrapped in Saran Wrap, buttercream and then fondant. For a head I used the Wilton ball pans. Base is buttercream, everything else is fondant with icing details. I custom made the stand to support his body. The tie is gumpaste tinted black.

So if you have any ideas or comments for me I would love to hear what the professionals think! I could use some good tips so that the next Jack is 10x better! Thank you all!

Shannon
LL

10 replies
TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 6:49am
post #2 of 11

thats really wish i could do something like that.....

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:55am
post #3 of 11

I love that movie!!! I think that he looks awesome! You did a great job!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 10:04am
post #4 of 11

I just love Newbies who think outside the box!

Great job on Jack.

Now, as you construct these characters, you may consider getting the digital camera out and taking step-by-step photos, that can be posted as a tutorial on the site.

Welcome to the forum!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 10:19am
post #5 of 11

Wow impressive!!!

Welcome and I look forward to your next creation thumbs_up.gif

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 10:49am
post #6 of 11

AWESOME JOB!!! Keep those great cakes coming!!

I'm amazed how the head stayed atop of the tube. With my luck, the tube would go right through because of the head's weight pushing down on it!!

Sophie-Em Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sophie-Em Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 11:01am
post #7 of 11

excellent excellent excellent Nice job done on Jack

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 12:11pm
post #8 of 11

Very Nice you have talent my daughter loves Sally!!!!!!!!!

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:00pm
post #9 of 11

That is one cool cake! thumbs_up.gif Love it!!!!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 11

tmriga:

On my first 2 cakes I have been pretty good about taking digital pics with my progress, but my wife takes them for me. Since this was a surprise I was all alone and too sticky to pic up the camera. I think I may make another to enter in our county fair next month or for Halloween. When I do I'll take more detail and see about that tutorial! icon_biggrin.gif

cakes47:

About the ball on the tube.... you can't see everything underneath ( I guess that is the point haha!) I put down a piece of plywood for a base and covered it in heavy black paper. I bought a 7/16 in dowel rod and drilled a slightly smaller hole in the plywood. I put the sheet cakes down and then hammered the dowel firmly in. The body was made with a cardboard base and was supported in the sheet cake by 4 dowels. The Scott towel roll was big enough to slide over. Next I cut a smaller piece of plywood about 3 in x 3 in and drilled a hole in it. It was tight but I worked it down about 3 inches on the dowel. When the head was buttercreamed, I added rolled fondant chunks to make eyebrows and a nose, set it on the top dowel, put the fondant on, and finally painted the face. So the head is actually resting on a rounded 3 in plywood piece.

Overall I think 7/16 was fairly sturdy, but it wouldn't hurt to go a little thicker or make a nice slim and sturdy metal version, especially knowing I will probably make another of these.

Thank you all for the compliments, I would be more than happy to answer more questions if anyone is trying to make something similar.

Aztec9206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aztec9206 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 11

Love the cake!!! icon_surprised.gif

You go dude!!!Keep on baking!!! Dont' forget to keep posting your cakes...

Cindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%