Luau Babyshower Cake

Decorating By RRGibson Updated 11 Jul 2007 , 8:41pm by LittleLinda

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 12

It's so liberating to be able to come on here and ask questions and know that I'll get good answers and ideas!! It's hard to get people in my area to help out, I guess they don't think there's enough business to go around icon_sad.gif

Anyhoo...I have a lady who wants a baby shower luau cake. She's having a girl. Can't really think of a good way to incorporate these things together. Coming up with the ideas is my problem, once I can get a picture in my head, I'm off and running!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

11 replies
satgirlga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satgirlga Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 12

I'm going to be doing a luau birthday cake in a few weeks, and have found some wonderful ideas on this site, but my favorite is a waterfall cake. I'm going to be stacking a double layer 9 inch and a double layer 6 inch. I'm going to put a "tiki hut" at the top, then have a waterfall starting in front of the hut cascading all the way down to the cake base. i'm also going to be adding some flowers around it in tropical colors. Maybe you could do something similar with girly colored flowers, different shades of pink maybe. good luck!

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 12

You could do a beach with a hula baby with flowers and a pacifier in its mouth.

oodu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oodu Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 12:08am
post #4 of 12

I attended a luau baby shower, and the sheet cake had a design in which a pink flamingo (instead of a stork) was holding the bundle with the baby. It was really cute and incorporated the baby theme with the luau theme. Just add some tropical flowers and you're set!

RRGibson Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by oodu

I attended a luau baby shower, and the sheet cake had a design in which a pink flamingo (instead of a stork) was holding the bundle with the baby. It was really cute and incorporated the baby theme with the luau theme. Just add some tropical flowers and you're set!

That actually sounds really cute! Now I would just have to find a picture of a flamingo to trace or something. Is there a tutorial anywhere for the gumpaste hibiscus? Thanks!

oodu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oodu Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 12:48am
post #6 of 12

Here is a website that you can find flamingo images (or any other type of image)...it is a children's coloring and craft website, but has lots of images...perfect for transferring to cakes! http://www.dltk-kids.com/searchresults.html?cx=006942297880364118670%3Amgahrcqhv0w&q=flamingo&sa=Search&cof=FORID%3A9#735

I just did a search on the website for "flamingo," and this is what the search brought up. I have never made gumpaste hibiscus flowers, but just looking at pictures of hibiscus, this is what I came up with. First, prepare a wire with a gumpaste stamen at the top. Then cut out a few petals using a rose petal cutter (tear-drop shaped) (there are 3 different sizes in the wilton gumpaste flower kit). You can then press the petals into the leaf veiner (also in kit) to give some texture, and then ruffle the edges. Just attach to the prepared wire and then "paint" in the details using chalk. There is also the super-easy way of decorating your tropical cake with flowers...purchase edible orchids from your local grocery store! You will have to post a picture of your finished cake for all of us to see!

RRGibson Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:46am
post #7 of 12

Of course I will definitely post whatever we come up with. I really like the flamingo idea. I can see it in my head! The Mommy hasn't made up her mind yet though. I hope she picks that one.

Thanks for the link oodu! I will definitely bookmark that one! If she likes this design, it will be my first fbct. Lots of new stuff, but I'm up for the challenge.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 12

I also had the pink flamingo idea in my head before I kept reading on. You could use the words "aloha baby". I also like the waterfall theme. I once did a waterfall with a rubber duckie in the water. Strange, but the cutomer wanted a tropical rubber duckie theme for a first birthday.

I'm not on my own computer right now; but there is a picture of it in my winkflash (link in my signature line). it's in the "luau, beach, water, pools, fish, Hawaiian, Tropic" photo album. (you might also draw some other luau inspiration from other pics in the album.)

RRGibson Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

I also had the pink flamingo idea in my head before I kept reading on. You could use the words "aloha baby". I also like the waterfall theme. I once did a waterfall with a rubber duckie in the water. Strange, but the cutomer wanted a tropical rubber duckie theme for a first birthday.

I'm not on my own computer right now; but there is a picture of it in my winkflash (link in my signature line). it's in the "luau, beach, water, pools, fish, Hawaiian, Tropic" photo album. (you might also draw some other luau inspiration from other pics in the album.)

That's so cute!!! But I don't think that I can draw on the cake like that. How do you get those pictures so nice and neat? I really hate sheet cakes because I just never know what to do with all that space.

LittleLinda Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:24pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGibson

But I don't think that I can draw on the cake like that. How do you get those pictures so nice and neat?

That rubber duckie tropical cake doesn't have a lot of difficult artwork on it. You can do that! But my trick to make nice drawings is that I find pictures I want to use ... usually on google image search. I print them out and blow them up to the exact size they will be on the cake. I use a wall projector and project the picture on paper taped to the wall. But you can use the enlarge feature on your copier/printer for many of them. I cut out the picture then I use a craft knife to cut the inside details (making sure to stop before i cross lines or else a chuck falls out). I press the paper stencil on the crusted buttercream with a toothpick to press on all the edges. The I take off the paper and I have an impression. I trace it with tip 3, then I fill in the colors, then retrace it to make it neat again.

RRGibson Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:56pm
post #11 of 12

Well I tell you what Linda, that sounds like a good idea! I did that once when I needed to carve a cake, it was a fish. So that same method would work on a sheet cake as well! Thanks for the breakdown on your method. I'm going to try it because I have several other sheet cakes booked over the next few months!

LittleLinda Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 12

If you have more questions, please pm me. I have been thinking lately of doing a tutorial on it. I will need to take pictures as I go along.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%