Gumpaste Roses?

Decorating By TheCakeSmith Updated 31 Aug 2006 , 2:57pm by sugarnut

TheCakeSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeSmith Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 5:40am
post #1 of 21

Is the process for making gumpaste roses the same as making fondant roses? I learned that recently in my class and thought it was very easy and I got a very nice result. I would like to start experimenting with gumpaste now.

20 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 12:41pm
post #2 of 21

Here's a bump for ya.

But I wold think so...I don't do too many GP roses/flowers (YET!)

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 21

Yes, you can make gumpaste roses just like you make them out of fondant, either with the all-in-one quickie technique or petal by petal. Just make sure you keep the unused gumpaste covered because it will dry out much faster than fondant.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 21

remember when you are making the gumpaste roses to roll the gumpaste thinner than you do the fondant petals. you must almost be able to see through them.

sugarnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarnut Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 21

they are done exactly the same as the fondant rose, except that it does dry out faster. You can do them on wires by taking floral tape and wrapping it several times (about 10) around a 20 gage wire, wet it with a little floral glue (a pinch of gum paste disolved in about a TB water). Insert it through your base/cone to the top, hook it, then bring it back inside and pinch around the bottom. If you do a lot of these and let them set, you can then do different stages of the rose, from closed bud through full blown, but they need to dry first.

The bigger you make your cone/center, the bigger the petals should be. many sites sell the bigger cutters, but Wilton's are a great start. There are also veiners and dusts to make them look more realistic. Nicholas Lodge and Scott Clarke Wooley both have web sites and great information on how to do any flower you could want. Have fun! Here are some that I just did after going to a demo class with Nicholas Lodge.
LL

lilfoots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilfoots Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 21

Sugarnut,
those flowers are so realistic! What an awesome job you did on them. Kinda makes me want to try to make some... hahahaha. I'm still working on fondant sea shells for DD Bday.

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 21

Wowzers sugarnut, those roses are beautiful!!!

sugarnut Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 21

thank you! I feel like I'm improving every time I do them, but taking even a demo with Nicholas Lodge helped 100%!

for seashells, have you thought about just doing chocolates? I did those on a cake for my mom and just used the mold. You can use the mold for the fondant ones, too. Makes it easier and less time consuming. Have fun!

lilfoots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilfoots Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 1:22am
post #9 of 21

sugarnut, I am using the molds with the fondant. I colored the fondant first, then did a light brown/purple wash over them. I'm "still working" on them b/c the kids keep "sampling" them. I guess that could be seen as a good thing?!?!?!

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 1:37am
post #10 of 21

OK..I know this might be a dumb question, but I am new at this...what is the big difference between fondant & gumpaste? icon_biggrin.gif

On a side note I just want to say how friendly everyone is on CC, and how willing everyone is to share. thumbs_up.gif

Now if I could get my kids to share icon_sad.gif Life would be good icon_biggrin.gif

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 1:41am
post #11 of 21

If you figure that one out Marksgirl, please let the rest of us know...that's information I would pay big bucks for! icon_lol.gif

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 1:46am
post #12 of 21

I guess what I really meant, was when doing shaping roses. Is gumpaste better then fondant?

frosting111 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 2:12am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksgirl

OK..I know this might be a dumb question, but I am new at this...what is the big difference between fondant & gumpaste? icon_biggrin.gif

On a side note I just want to say how friendly everyone is on CC, and how willing everyone is to share. thumbs_up.gif

Now if I could get my kids to share icon_sad.gif Life would be good icon_biggrin.gif

Gum paste is made of sugar, cornstarch, gum (Arabic or Tragacanth) and gelatin, added to give the material a more "claylike" properties. Because of the added gum, the dough is very elastic and soft, making it able to be rolled out thinner and worked with longer,it's used primarily to mold realistic-looking fruits and flowers to garnish cakes rather than to cover the entire cake cause it dries harder.

Fondant is made out of mostly powdered (confectioner's) sugar with a tiny bit of liquid glucose and egg white added, there are several kinds and remains soft for quite a while, but will harden over time, it never really gets bone hard. It can be used to make decorations and is great as a cake covering.

TheCakeSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeSmith Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:04am
post #14 of 21

Thanks! And WOW Sugarnut!! Those roses are beautiful! icon_surprised.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 9:56am
post #15 of 21

sugarnut,

Where did you take the Nick Lodge class? I would love to do something like that but I don't know how advanced you need to be to take his classes. Is he patient?

thanks..
Teri

sugarnut Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 12:35pm
post #16 of 21

Frosting111 is right, the gum paste is MUCH better for doing roses and such, because you can roll it much thinner- you can see through it. You don't get that elasticity with the fondant, though it does taste better. The Gum paste also dries really fast, so it's great to work with.

I took one of his demos, though I'd love to actually get a class with him. He was VERY patient and helpful. Excellent at explaining things. He travels all over the world. I got to see him in TX at the ICES convention (ICES.org) which is all about sharing and LOTS of fun. He also has his own school and supplies (which are great!) in Atlanta, GA for those of you near the east coast. http://www.nicholaslodge.com/ is his website. Sugarcraft sells his videos and books, too.

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 1:17pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosting111

Gum paste is made of sugar, cornstarch, gum (Arabic or Tragacanth)

Concerning using gum arabic or tragacanth...are they the same measure for measure? I have arabic but the recipe I found calls for tragacanth.

frosting111 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 1:34pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosting111

Gum paste is made of sugar, cornstarch, gum (Arabic or Tragacanth)

Concerning using gum arabic or tragacanth...are they the same measure for measure? I have arabic but the recipe I found calls for tragacanth.

I'm not sure about the same measure for measure on these two ingredients..if I were you I'd look up a recipes using them both individually in the mixture and see what the difference in the equivalences are.

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 1:44pm
post #19 of 21

I am just getting started with making flowers (in fact today is the first day I am going to practice with them). I bought some Wilton pre-made gumpaste and hope this works well. For those of you that use gumpaste, do you make your own or bought pre-made? What kind?

The fondant and gum paste Wilton flower tool set is totally intimidating me this morning. Isn't that crazy? Any of you ever feel that way when you are starting with something new???

Suzanne

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 1:50pm
post #20 of 21

Thanks, I will look around for a gumpaste recipe using Arabic. I didn't know it was a possible substitution til I read your previous reply.

I am new to gumpaste - just bought my 1st supplies over the weekend. I bought a can of gumpaste mix to get started with but thought I would eventually try my hand at making it from scratch. I had arabic on hand from another class I took, for use in royal icing cookie decorating.

sugarnut Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 2:57pm
post #21 of 21

I only use the arabic to mix with water to make glue for the flowers, so I can't tell you how much to use for making gum paste. I don't use tragacanth, either. The Wilton premade gum paste works great, just make sure you put shortening on your hands and work it like fondant before you start trying to roll it out.

To make my own gum paste, I make royal icing, then add Tylose powder to it, kneed it and wrap it up to set overnight. This works great, and is cheaper than buying it premade, but not as easy as just buying it!

Don't let it initimade you! It's just like making sculpy or playdough, just make sure you roll it REALLY thin- if you're using a Wilton mat roll it thin enough that you can read the words underneath! Keep everything you're not using wrapped and covered, and only cut out one or two flower sets at a time and keep them covered (I use the flap on my practice board).

Good luck and have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%