Rolling Gumpaste "see-Through" Thin...having Troub

Decorating By lindsaycakes Updated 31 Aug 2006 , 1:05pm by jmt1714

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 12:59am
post #1 of 8

I see gumpaste flowers on this website and I'm so amazed...why can't I get it!?!?

I just can't get my gumpaste rolled thinly enough. Can anyone give me advice?? I can get it to a certain thickness, and then it just resists further rolling. Is there an ideal rolling pin for this job?? Does it work better to use shortening instead of cornstarch or powdered sugar?? All the directions say you should be able to "see through" the gumpaste and read a page beneath it.

I would really appreciate some expert advice! I have attempted several times to make the flowers work, and I have never had any worthy of an honored position on a cake! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 1:14am
post #2 of 8

I have trouble with gumpaste sticking unless I use shortening, it seems to let up easier but it might just be me.

peterlori1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peterlori1 Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 3:12am
post #3 of 8

I find shortening to be much better for rolling. What recipe are you using? What are you rolling it out on? You may try using a pasta roller first, and then finish rolling with a small wooden stick or a cel stick.

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 8

You know, at the suggestion to use a cel stick, I'm wondering -- maybe I'm just trying to roll out too much at once.
I have worked briefly with CK gumpaste mix, and most recently with tylose gumpaste. I roll on my kitchen counter (Corian-type surface), using cornstarch. (Sometimes vegetable shortening). I use a wooden rolling pin. I've tried nuking the gumpaste briefly, which seems to help a bit.

Is this all standard, or am I missing something??

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 8

Stop using the cornstarch to roll the paste out. Use a very thin veil of Crisco instead, on both your rolling surface and the pin you are using. This goes for when you roll out fondant, also.

The cornstarch is drying your paste out, causing it to stick to your surfaces, and making it harden up before you get it to the desired thickness.

You should be able to roll your paste out thin enough to slightly see a pattern through it. Perhaps get yourself a plastic placemat, something very smooth with a nice pattern that you can recognize easily through the paste.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

peterlori1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peterlori1 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 9:50am
post #6 of 8

I put my gumpaste in the food processor to soften it up, really works great.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 10:19am
post #7 of 8

The placemat suggestion is right on the mark.

I have a large clear rolling pin that I use.

Smear a THIN coat of Crisco on the pad where you will roll. Lightly dust the other side, for cutting, with the cornstarch.

Roll your paste on the Crisco side, thinly. When done pick it up and then slide it across the cornstarch side. Place the paste down on the cornstarch side. Then use your cutter.

If your paste is rolled correctly you will be able to see the color of your pad through it.

When making flowers you will also be using a ball tool for the edges. That will thin your paste as well.

If my paste is a bit tacky I will dip my fingers in the cornstarch and knead that SMALL amount into my paste. That makes it easier to roll.

Practice and you will get a feel for what consistency you need.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 8

half of my board has a light coat of crisco. the other half has a tiny bit of cornstarch. I roll on the crisco side, then pick up the piece and lay it on the conrnstarch side, and that is where i do the cutting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%