My Kids Had Ice Cream For Dinner

Lounge By vww104 Updated 15 Jul 2007 , 9:11am by MaraCarter

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 2:49am
post #1 of 18

Well, I'm definitely not June Cleaver. Sometimes I just can't do the "perfect" mom thing. My 2 kids (boys ages 7 & 5) went to my mom's this afternoon and I just assumed she would feed them, well she didn't. So when they came home and told me they didn't eat dinner and asked for ice cream sandwiches I just let them have them. I thought it might be fun and reassuring to see what other really "unperfect mom" things others have done. Thanks for sharing!

17 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 3:47am
post #2 of 18

Are you kidding me, that's every kids dream!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 4:15am
post #3 of 18

My son still reminds me of the time we went to Ghirardelli in San Francisco and had dessert before going back to our hotel for dinner. He's now a teenager, and thinks it is great that we weren't so hung up on doing things "right".

I think it is good for kids to see that sometimes it's OK to break the rules--if the rule is one that can be safely put aside.

When my son was in first grade and had a hip problem that prevented him from being able to run, jump, climb, ride a bike, or pretty much do anything that involved movement, I bought him a Gameboy. (After promising myself that I would never have a game system in my home.)

Even "worse", I bribed my son with Gameboy time--two minutes of game play for every minute he stayed still during the MRI he had to have.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 6:04am
post #4 of 18

I had 4 weddings on Saturday - my son has loved on pizza rolls, slim jims, and smarties for the last 3 days. I think he might have had an apple in there sometime, but I can't be sure.

I made sure he ate very well today!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 18

Not on a regular basis but ice cream for supper, cake for breakfast, etc isn't going to kill the kids if they normally have a healthy diet. So it happens at my house once in a while.

I'm personally not really hung up on a set lunch time or anything, my youngest is 4 and isn't either so most of the time I'll give him snacks that he asks for. icon_redface.gif Most of these are healthy things like cheese, fruit, lunch meat but there have been days that he never sits down for what you would call a meal.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:22am
post #6 of 18

Cereal for dinner; they're still alive icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:52am
post #7 of 18

I had a dark chocolate Klondike bar for dinner tonight icon_lol.gif

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 4:20am
post #8 of 18

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif crap....I was supposed to feed them??? icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

icon_lol.gif ....umm ive fed mine cheese nips once....they asked for them! and kept asking for more...I was tired!! oh then of course there was the doritos dinner.....hmm, maybe I should stop before child protective services knocks on the door icon_lol.gif

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 4:27am
post #9 of 18

icon_lol.gif Twinsline7 icon_biggrin.gif

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 4:52am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Not on a regular basis but ice cream for supper, cake for breakfast, etc isn't going to kill the kids if they normally have a healthy diet. So it happens at my house once in a while.

I'm personally not really hung up on a set lunch time or anything, my youngest is 4 and isn't either so most of the time I'll give him snacks that he asks for. icon_redface.gif Most of these are healthy things like cheese, fruit, lunch meat but there have been days that he never sits down for what you would call a meal.

Well cake for breakfast is like muffins right??? At least that's what I tell myself. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 5:05am
post #11 of 18

Well my boys, 5 and 2 1/2 had Toaster Sticks for dinner, syrup and all. Yeah, I'm lazy but when your hubby is deployed, not much incentive to cook a meal every night of the week.

It's good to know it's not just me that slacks during dinner time.

Amy

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 6:17am
post #12 of 18

I wouldn't worry about it so much the other night I didn't feel like cooking dinner and my kids ate lunchables while my DH had popcorn. Popcorn's a vegetable isn't it?? icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

littlewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlewoman Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:13pm
post #13 of 18

My kids favorite breakfast is either tuna fish sandwich or beef and bean burritos. They are 17 and 13 and have been doing this for years and it hasn't hurt either one of them. I just can't get past the gross factor..they tell me it is protein.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:33pm
post #14 of 18

if you've never seen it ---

the guy's answer to the what's for breakfast question

as only Bill Cosby could answer it!

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=4393284

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 6:46pm
post #15 of 18

doug that was hilarious..........

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 2:18pm
post #16 of 18

Ice cream for dinner is perfectly acceptable once in awhile...in fact, I think every child should have that luxury!

At our house, whenever we bake chocolate chip cookies, breakfast the next morning is ALWAYS cookies and milk. We don't bake them often so it's a special treat, but something we like to do.

You have to be able to have fun and break the rules once in awhile!!

FYI...for those nights I don't feel like cooking, it's too hot, etc...I always keep pepperoni, crackers, and cheese on hand and that's what we have for dinner....simple and easy. Throw in a couple veggies and we're all happy. We eat that meal in front of the tv which my kids love to do once in awhile!!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 7:12pm
post #17 of 18

My mom did something like this once or twice lol I loved it! I think kids will look back on this ( as I do) and smile for the rest of their lives, doing simple stupid things like that makes life fun!

~Alicia

MaraCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaraCarter Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 9:11am
post #18 of 18

Your kids probably thought it was great. My husband is 32 years old (sister is 31 and brother is 29) and one of their favorite stories that comes up often at family get togethers is the time they spent the night with their aunt( mom to three) and she let them have chocolate cake for breakfast. Which had to happen 20 some years ago. Some times it is the simple things!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%