Hooking The Flower To The Wire?

Decorating By crazycakes2007 Updated 12 Jul 2007 , 5:24am by Ellistwins

crazycakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakes2007 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 11

Okay, now I'm finally playing with the mmf I made... I made a cute flower, but now how do you hook it to a wire so it can look darling swaying above a potential cake? Thanks for your experienced advice!

10 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 11

You make a hook in the end of the wire. Then you make a dome shape of fondant or gumpaste and slip it onto the wire. Then you let it harden overnight. Or you can use a premade styrofoam cone. Then you build your flower off of that.

crazycakes2007 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you for responding, I'm gonna try that. But the flowers that sugarshack does, for example, look flat! (don't tell her, she's my cake goddess) Do you still build a dome with fondant and hook that to the flat flower somehow?

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 11

Before inserting the hooked wire into the paste, dip it in water or gum glue so it sticks better.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 11

You do make a cone on a hooked wire for Roses or Gardenias. But most flower have each petal wired individually and that requires a ridged or grooved Cel board. If you have made a fantasy flower of some sort that is one solid flower, you can dry the flower, turn it over and lay a piece of floral wire #30 gauge down the center, make a strip of gumpaste about 1/4" wide and long enough to go from the top to the bottom of the flower. Moisten the strip with gum glue or water and lay it lengthwise over the wire, press gently on both sides of the wire to secure the strip to your flower.

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 1:06am
post #6 of 11

Thanks ShirleyW! Every time I log on... I learn a new technique. I'm sure I'll need that one day. Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 3:13am
post #7 of 11

Yah, if you do a lilly for example you do the technique that Shirley is talking about. But probably the best thing for you to do is buy a good gumpaste flower book that has instructions in it. Or even a video. Its really hard to understand everything, especially Shirleys method, if you've never seen it done. It will also get you into the easy stuff and then more advanced. The last thing you want to try is something like a lilly and have never did a flower before. It will discourage you.

crazycakes2007 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 3:32am
post #8 of 11

Many blessings, 'cause I am getting discouraged. I'm taking Wilton class III this Thurs, maybe that will help? Also, video clips on this site have been SO helpful beyond words. Thanks for the encouragement. Cheryl

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 4:55am
post #9 of 11

Depending on the flower, you could just make some "fondant paste". It is water added to fondant to make it pasty - enough that it will be able to squeeze from a large round tip. You will have to let it dry for a couple days. I just lay the hooped wire flat on the back of the flower, then use a piping bag, pipe some fondant paste onto the back (might have to smooth with finger) and let dry.
LL

crazycakes2007 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:12am
post #10 of 11

That is exACTly what I needed. I love your cake. Thank you Carson!

Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:24am
post #11 of 11

We were taught for some flowers you an warm the hooked wire over a candle and then push it into the fondant ball (mmf) and let it stand overnight. This is especially for very heavy flowers like roses. It sticks better, but for smaller flowers the water and glue works just fine.

I'm so glad to see that although we are from around the world, some techniques, or most, are the same, although the terms are confusing this blonde big time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%