First Scratch Cake....mmmm Mmmm Good!

Decorating By Jenn01844 Updated 9 Jul 2007 , 12:44am by birdgirl

Jenn01844 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn01844 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 14

We are all celebrating a good friend's birthday Tuesday and considering I'm trying to get alot of cake practice in I offered to make the cake. Since this my first non-home cake I was toying with the idea of making ot from scratch.

I made the "Deluxe Devil's Food Cake" Recipe on the back of the Softasilk Box.

Even while I was mixing it up I could tell the quality was much better than the box cakes I have been making....even the WASC doctored cake I made. The batter was thick and fluffy.

Let's just say the cake sraps were to die for....I think I may have just become a scratch baker... icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 14

I love scratch baking! I find it so enjoyable, and when you get a good recipe, it is hard to go back to box (sometimes I do if I am low on certain ingredients or in a rush--but I almost always try to go scratch). There are so many wonderful recipes out there from scratch. Enjoy them!

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 14

Jenn...would you mind posting the recipe or sending it to me. [email protected] Thank you so much...

Jenn01844 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn01844 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 14

Recipe Coutsey of: Pillsbury (Softasilk) Brand Flour

Deluxe Devils Food Cake
Prep: 45 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
No-Stick Cooking Spray
2 cups granulated sugar
2 sticks butter softened
1 tsp. clear vanilla
.75 tsp almond
2 large eggs
2.5 cups Softasilk
1 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp salt
2.25 cups buttermilk
Chocolate Curls(if desired for garnishing)

Heat oven to 350*, Spray 3-9" rounds with non-stick spay. Beat sugar, butter, flavorings inlarge bowl with electric mixer till light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. In seperate bowl combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda. Mix till combined evenly.

Beat the dry ingredients and buttermilk into the butter/sugar mixture. Alternatley. 1/4 dry, 1/4 milk and so on.

When it is combined well. Beat an additional minute and pour into prepared pans.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 14

I've made that cake before and it was wonderful. It's the cake in my pics of the chocolate basketweave. There's also a vanilla cake recipe on the box with rasberry icing and filling that's good too.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 14

Is softasilk cake flour or all purpose?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 14

Softasilk is cake flour..

I am so glad that you had a great scratch experience!! Welcome to the wonderful world of scratch baking.. it's addictive and oh so rewarding.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfrosting

Is softasilk cake flour or all purpose?

It is cake flour icon_smile.gif

lisasweeta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasweeta Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 11:18pm
post #9 of 14

Jenn,

YESSSSS!!! Good job!! I know that some people think it takes so much longer to bake from scratch, but once you have a great recipe that you're familiar with, you can usually prepare a scratch cake in the same time it would take to do a doctored mix. In fact, I could never understand why people would go through all of the trouble of adding extra flour, sugar, eggs, etc to a mix and not even try a scratch cake.
Toba Garrett's Moist Yellow Cake recipe on epicurious.com has only 8 ingredients and it makes such a delicious cake!

Congratulations on a successful cake and keep on baking!!! thumbs_up.gif

starsparkle888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starsparkle888 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 11:24pm
post #10 of 14

Isn't scratch baking wonderful!?!?!?! if you like coconut, Ina Garten has a fantastic coconut cake recipe with cream cheese frosting, it is to die for!!!!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 14

YAY!!! icon_biggrin.gif Congrats!!!

I hardly EVER make cakes from a box anymore!

You should definitely get Toba Garrett's book The Well Decorated Cake - her recipes are SO GOOD (in the back of the book) and SO easy!!

icon_biggrin.gif

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 11:24pm
post #12 of 14

Just a quick question. Is it baking powder or baking soda in the recipe? In the recipe ingredients you have powder but soda in the directions. This one looks good! Thanks for sharing.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 12:30am
post #13 of 14

Welcome to the scratch baker's club! I love baking from scratch! To me, it gives so much more meaning to your cakes. Not only is it beautiful on the outside, it tastes good too!

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 12:44am
post #14 of 14

That recipe is good. I am glad to hear the white one with raspberry filling is good too--was going to try it this week! I have now converted to scratch baking for cakes and everyone loves them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%