Which Do You Prefer To Making Roses

Decorating By cakekrayzie Updated 9 Jul 2007 , 1:16am by aoliveira

sada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sada Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 12:59am
post #31 of 34

I envy people with good piping skills, I can not pipe anything especially not roses. I love fondant and I like making roses of fondant/gumpaste mixture.
Miriel, thanks for the link it would be handy to make some of those formers, this is first time I've heard of them.

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 1:14am
post #32 of 34

I chose gumpaste because that's the only medium that my roses seem to come out looking good. I used to make decent buttercream roses, and then took a Wilton class with someone that made really chunky ones. Now I can't do them at all icon_cry.gif ! She told me I was doing them all wrong and showed me the "right" way icon_confused.gif . Now all I get are big blobby looking things! icon_cry.gif
I taught myself to make gumpaste roses, so far I've been happy with the results- but they take me 45 minutes to an our each! I guess I'm really fussy about making them- must be all my experience of being a floral designer years ago! icon_lol.gif

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 1:15am
post #33 of 34

Well for now I prefer royal icing cause I still have buttercream-cracky-edges issues with those roses. But royal icing roses come out good for me thumbs_up.gif I'm still working on my gumpaste ones and I know once I get those down those will be my favorite.

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 1:16am
post #34 of 34

Honestly, I'd prefer getting a painful shot (vaccine) in the arm. icon_smile.gif than piping roses with buttercream. I still haven't tried fondant for that but I'm betting it's way easier.

When I took the Wilton I class, I struggled to get those darn roses to come out right. I practiced and practiced and they just didn't look nice. A girl in my class came in the second night with a box full of perfect roses. And had the nerve (haha) to say they were easy and she just piped those watching TV. Ugh!! I was so mad.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%