The Wedding Cake.....here It Is!!

Decorating By Taigen Updated 2 Sep 2006 , 9:13pm by cakeladywalker

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 25

I know the wedding was over a week ago we were waiting on the photo's and to be honest I have just been having some down time haha icon_biggrin.gif
Here are the wedding cake photo's. I blurred out the couples faces. We took "fake cutting" photo's inside and then VERY carefully carried the cake outside. It was so funny because all along I have been so worried about "moving the cake" icon_surprised.gif and when I did it....I just did it...then realized oh my goodness did I just do that hahaha
I did the baking on the Tues and set fire to my oven....flames and all. My oven wasn't level and some batter spilled over. I had noticed it smoking and watched carefully. Luckily the flames didn't start till the cake was out. Then I worried it would taste or smell smokey. My oven also decided to be off temp by about 50 degrees!! I was anxious for it to cool so I could level and taste the offcuts. VERY luckily...it was fine. I put all the layers in the fridge overnight and was supposed to do the crumb coat and fondant on Wed. Well....Wed came with some bad news and I kind of lost the day, but did get the crumb coats done.
Thurs was fondant day and decorating. If you remember the final practice cake#5 this cake was based on that one...but took on a life of it's own in creation. I am really pleased with how it all turned out. I have had a lot of compliments on it....taste and looks. Duaghter and new hubby were extremly pleased with it as it was truly "THEIR" cake and their weddy day with all things they wanted. As someone joked, yeah and mom's 50,000 hours of work!! hahaha but I enjoyed it all.....even more so when I looked at their faces! Sorry, proud mom spewing now icon_biggrin.gif
Anyway, the cake is Duncan Hines french vanilla enhanced with butterscotch pudding. The filling is the caramel from the sweetened condensed milk. Everyone commented on how good and unique it was, very moist and tasty.
Things I learned.....you can't not panic...but try to keep it to a minimum
I way over made ALL icing's and fondant
gotta level my oven and calibrate the temp
to buy only wilton meringue powder
people on the net are incredibly helpful
You can learn decoarting on the net
When made with love...it'll work out icon_biggrin.gif
((((((((((((((((Thank you all so much)))))))))))))))))))))))))
My cake for my daughter......I love you
LL
LL
LL

24 replies
PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 25

Strong work!!

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 25

awwww, it's beautiful!!!!!!!!

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 25

sorry all the pics wouldn't load...here are the rest...I hope icon_smile.gif
AHa....have to resize!!!!
Here they are icon_smile.gif
LL
LL
LL
LL

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 25

Very nice! I know it made it extra special to make this for you daughter!
I am curious what meringue powder you were referring to?

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 25

It came out beautiful! How did you do the topper? Was it made out of sugar also? How did the picture of them get inside?

Your flowers are down right lovely. Great job!!!!!

babygreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babygreen Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 25

very beautiful. you should be very proud.

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 25

Beautiful cakes. Great job.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 4:09pm
post #9 of 25

Those are wonderful!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 4:15pm
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

It came out beautiful! How did you do the topper? Was it made out of sugar also? How did the picture of them get inside?

Your flowers are down right lovely. Great job!!!!!

DITTO!! thumbs_up.gif

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 25

What a beautiful cake! You did everything perfectly! I LOVE your flowers- they look so real! And the dragonflies-they are so cute! I'm sure it meant a lot to your daugher to have you put so much time and love into her wedding cake!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 4:34pm
post #12 of 25

your cake is just as unique as it is beautiful. good job, you have every right to be extreamly proud.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 4:51pm
post #13 of 25

It's beautiful, I love the side cakes they're very different. thumbs_up.gif

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 25

Gorgeous cakes!! Love the dragonflies and butterflies. Beautiful work!!
I've been wanting to do a lily pond scene for a long time. Now that cooler weather is near, I'm going to finally do it.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:07pm
post #15 of 25

That cake is awesome! Beautiful work and wonderful design. Congratulations to you and the young couple!

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:14pm
post #16 of 25

Gorgeous !!! Great job !!! I can't wait to do my first wedding cake !!!

Suzanne

deborah_amos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deborah_amos Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:19pm
post #17 of 25

It looks beautiful and so unique. You did a wonderful job!

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:23pm
post #18 of 25

Very pretty cakes!! They sound delicious!

Destini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destini Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:28pm
post #19 of 25

Great job on the cake. Very unique and original. Amazing topper!!!

midgit1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midgit1205 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:34pm
post #20 of 25

Beautiful!! How wonderful to be able to make a cake for your daughter. I especially love the cake topper!! If you would be so kind, how in the world did you do that?? I have never seen anything like that and it is truly amazing!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

eilers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilers Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:36pm
post #21 of 25

Just wanted to congratulate you ... your cake is absolutely beautiful.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 5:05pm
post #22 of 25

Taigen--

As you already know, I'm one of your BIGGEST FANS!! Your beautiful "practice cake" was one of the first here to ever catch my attention.

This cake is, if possible--even more stunning.

And, again--thank you for posting your step-by-steps, and for posting your experiences with this obviously beautiful girl and her wedding. thumbs_up.gif

Wonderful!

--Knox--

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 5:12pm
post #23 of 25

oh I definitely agree- it's stunning
and your daughter is so lucky to have had you put all that loving energy into making her special day, well, special icon_smile.gif

Ditto on thanks for sharing your step by steps and experiences. I know not eveyrone does that for instance when they post pics- and I can only speak for myself when I say that it's really helpful to hear the hows and whys behind the gorgeous masterpieces in here. Even the ones that don't turn out so well- to know what works and what doesnt work. And as for the experiences/play-by-play (eg oven catching on fire- glad that was not a cake destroying fire), those just bring the whole thing to life- because we all know there are stories behind everything we create. And I know again I speak for myself when I say I find those extremely entertaining to read, on top of enlightening. Not to laugh at necessarily, but sometimes share the anguish of something falling over and also of the funny parts where the kids come in and say really loudly (as happened to me last week) 'auntie, have you finished the sushi cake yet?' (with the birthday girl sitting in the same room' (And me yelling at him to shut up right away and then spending 10 minutes apologizing lmao)

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 8:27pm
post #24 of 25

Beautiful!!!! You did a wonderful job on it!!! thumbs_up.gif

cakeladywalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladywalker Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 9:13pm
post #25 of 25

VERY PRETTY!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%