Toba Garrett's Glace' And Buttercream Icing????

Decorating By LovesPekes Updated 8 Jul 2007 , 4:04pm by LovesPekes

LovesPekes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovesPekes Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 7:10am
post #1 of 6

We are celebrating my daughter's 7th Family Day....she was adopted from China seven years ago. I'm wanting to make a cake with the Chinese character for family on top. What I'd like is a white cake with the red character.

Can I ice the cake with buttercream then go back with Toba's glace and outline and flood the Chinese character? I really liked working with TG's glace on sugar cookies but didnt' know how it would work on top of buttercream.

Thanks for any input or suggestions!
Kim C.

5 replies
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 6

I really dont know but I'll give you a bump hopefully someone out there can help you

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 6

you could ice your cake white and do a symbol in glace icing on wax paper like a color flo piece and when dry put on cake. But if it's laid directly on the bc I think it'll start to dissolve so you may wanna put a piece of wax paper under it the exact size to protect it from melting and then if you wanna eat it just peel and stick on cake and cut!

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 6

i have not had good luck making images with toba's then putting them on a cake. it doesn't dry like royal so it's not as hard. i had to piece it together on the cake. thank goodness it was for my SIL

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 6

Personally, I'd do the character in something solid like fondant or chocolate. Like the others before have said, royal or glace in contact with fatty buttercream will start to dissolve. Good luck!

LovesPekes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovesPekes Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for your replies. I hadn't thought about the image dissolving when in contact with the buttercream. What I was worried about was the coloring bleeding.

Cake decorating is very new to me so I was sure there were things that I hadn't even thought of. Looks like fondant may be the easiest way to go. I was just hoping I wasn't going to have to cut out all the strokes for the Chinese symbol which is quiet involved.

Thanks again,
Kim C.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%