Cream Puffs!!! Arrgghh!

Decorating By imagine76 Updated 21 Jul 2007 , 1:21am by FromScratch

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 16

ok, i'm making cream puffs for only the 2nd time right now and they're deflating! why? what did i do wrong?

they're for church in the morning so i have some time to make a new batch but what the heck did i do wrong?!

any suggestions would really be appreciated!

15 replies
snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 16

You're not baking them long enough. They need to dry out. Bake them half the time at 375, then turn them down to 325. When they come out of the oven, stab them with a fork to let the steam escape, so they don't collapse.

Alton's recipe always works.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_20682,00.html?rsrc=search

imagine76 Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 16

oh good! thank you!

martha has let me down again icon_sad.gif

i'll look up the alton ones!

cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:58am
post #4 of 16

I make cream puffs all the time, unless the consistency of the batter is right they won't come out good.
Do not open the oven when they are cooking. I'm also wondering do you add your eggs one at the time until the batter dries out a little. I have a good recipe, if you need it let me know.

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 16

cuillere, I would love to try your recipe if you don't mind.

babycakes7651 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes7651 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 16

I also have a recipe that has never failed me. I think I could make them in my sleep! Let me know if you need it icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuillere

I make cream puffs all the time, unless the consistency of the batter is right they won't come out good.
Do not open the oven when they are cooking. I'm also wondering do you add your eggs one at the time until the batter dries out a little. I have a good recipe, if you need it let me know.

Cuillere i would like your receipe too' Is that a picture of your dog? if so what breed? I have a female her name is Greta and she looks similar to the pic she is part Bulldog and Tree and Walker hound she is white with brown spots on her ears and one spot on her eye

cuillere Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 16

Here it is
Ingredients
1/4 liter water (250 ml)
200 g flour
100 g butter
pinch of salt
4 eggs

boil water, butter, salt. take the boiling mixture of the stove and add the flour in one shot (all of it). Mix it real well to remove any lumps. put back on the stove and keep stiring until it's dry and a little hard to stir. This is the important part is removing as much moisture from the mix. Put the mixture in your kitchen aid and add the eggs one at a time until each one gets incorporated. By now the batter should be nice and thick, not runny. then spoon your puffs or put the mixture in an icing bag with the coupler alone(no tip) and pipe in a quick circular motion. I use a wet finger to pinch down the tip of the puffs. when cooking them (@ 300 degrees) try not to open the stove just peak from the glass.

That's my bulldog (Diesel) in that picture, I had him for 10 years and sadly Idid put him to sleep about 3 months ago. I loved my dog soo much he was a wonderful watch dog. I think he developped a problem from that dry food situation that was going on at the time. Oh I miss him so much he was my gardening buddy, everytime I was doing yard work he was right beside me.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:34pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuillere

Here it is
Ingredients
1/4 liter water (250 ml)
200 g flour
100 g butter
pinch of salt
4 eggs

boil water, butter, salt. take the boiling mixture of the stove and add the flour in one shot (all of it). Mix it real well to remove any lumps. put back on the stove and keep stiring until it's dry and a little hard to stir. This is the important part is removing as much moisture from the mix. Put the mixture in your kitchen aid and add the eggs one at a time until each one gets incorporated. By now the batter should be nice and thick, not runny. then spoon your puffs or put the mixture in an icing bag with the alone(no tip) and pipe in a quick circular motion. I use a wet finger to pinch down the tip of the puffs. when cooking them (@ 300 degrees) try not to open the stove just peak from the glass.

That's my bulldog (Diesel) in that picture, I had him for 10 years and sadly Idid put him to sleep about 3 months ago. I loved my dog soo much he was a wonderful watch dog. I think he developped a problem from that dry food situation that was going on at the time. Oh I miss him so much he was my gardening buddy, everytime I was doing yard work he was right beside me.

I am so sorry to hear about Diesel animals just brings lots of joy i thought he had bull dog in him cause he looks a lot like my Greta, What does the g mean after the flour and butter Sorry for the dumb moment.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 16

I just made some last night. I bake mine at 425 for ten minutes and decrease by 350 for another twenty five minutes. The reason for the high temp is to produce a large amount of steam thus making it very puffy. The extended baking will dry the inside out and keep the puff shape. Be sure to cook the flour mixture until it is very dry. I noticed that in my recipe I add one to two less eggs based on the batter thickness.

cuillere Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:24pm
post #11 of 16

thank you cakebaker. The g stands for grams.
Moydear 77, i never change the temperature of the oven and never had a problem (i ve been using the same recipe the same way since I was 14!!! )But that sounds like a good idea.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:35pm
post #12 of 16

I'm not hearing anyone say what you do after baking cream puffs. I cool, cut the tops off, pull out any moist pieces, put them back on the cookie sheet and bake another 5-8 minutes or till the insides have dried. If I don't do this I find the puffs are too moist and kind of doughy tasting to me.

imagine76 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 16

are you all making the little bite size ones or bigger dessert ones? i'm just working on the mini ones for now. i'd like to make some eclaires sometime though.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:46pm
post #14 of 16

Mine are generally mini's for appetizers but I have made larger ones. I have not made Eclairs myself but using the same recipe and piping with a large round pastry tip would work well.

cuillere Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 1:11am
post #15 of 16

Here's a pic of some pastries I made. Cream puffs with creme patissiere and mini tarts with peach.
LL

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 1:21am
post #16 of 16

Ooooh!! Those look wicked good!!! My DH would love them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%