Lemon Cake

Baking By mjones17 Updated 2 Aug 2005 , 4:35pm by MrsMissey

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 5:26am
post #1 of 15

Was wondering if anyone has an awesome lemon cake recipe they would share with me? I would prefer something that starts out with a box mix. My e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks in advance,
-Michele-

14 replies
gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 8:57am
post #2 of 15

The CMD has a really good one, even better with the glaze. Dont let it set out though, get dry quickly, let me know if you need the recipie.

Heather

mjones17 Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 11:25am
post #3 of 15

Please, I would appreciate it.

mjones17 Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 11:47am
post #4 of 15

Come on guys I know you must have some recipes.........lol

gilpnh Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 15

mjones17-emailed you the CMD one yesterday, did you get it?

mjones17 Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 15

No I didn't icon_sad.gif

chrisrich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisrich Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 15

Could you please send me the lemon cake recipe from the CMD, too?

I have a baby shower coming up and I was thinking that one of the layers will be lemon with a raspberry filling.

Thanks!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 15

Using a cake box mix (DH french vanilla), I've simply added 1/3cup of softened butter, 1 1/3c of milk/cream/half&half/buttermilk (whatever you have), 3 eggs and about 2 tsps of fresh lemon zest. I will also throw in about 2 tsps of lemon juice for good measure.

This usually comes out pretty good for me. Good luck!

gilpnh Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 9:09pm
post #9 of 15

Ok, to heck with email. Here goes. "Susan's Lemon Cake" from the CMD pg 83

1 pkg plain ylw cake mix
1 pakg (3oz) lemon gelatin (jello)
2/3 cup vege oil
2/3 cup hot water
4 large eggs

Heat oven to 350-grease pans, hers makes up great in bundt or mini tart but will work in any pan.

Mix the mix, gelatin, oil, water and eggs-beat for 1 minute low, scape bowl and mix 2 min more on medium

Pour into pans and bake until light brown and pulls away from pan, approx 40 min. Cool for 10 min on wire rack

Prepare this glaze and use it if wanted. It is superb, packs alot of moisture if you are serving these for "tea" type cakes.

GLAZE
1/2 cup confec sugar
2 tablsp fresh lemon juice (I used the reg store stuff)
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest

mix all (you have to whisk it to blend well) and drizzle over cake.
I made 3 batches, one wasnt enough for me. I want LOTS of glaze.

Hope this helps. If baking cake to frost, do not let these cool completely, just mostly, and either frost or seal well, this one dries out fast. The glaze goes along way toward keeping it moist.

Heather

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 15

I bake just a regular lemon cake mix, and then use the canned pie filling for the filling and icing - use 1/3 of the can to put between the layers and then mix the reamining 2/3 can with a tub of cool whip for the frosting for the top and sides. Not hard, and always gets rave reviews.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 5:07pm
post #11 of 15

a friend of mine made the duncan hines lemon cake added lemon extract and then mixed lemon jello to the mix....instead of using say 1 1/2 cups of water she used 1 1/2 + 2 Tbsp jello mix then put lemon extract in the frosting in place of vanilla.....it was great

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 2:48pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

instead of using say 1 1/2 cups of water she used 1 1/2 + 2 Tbsp jello mix

Dumb question here...
I assume the 1 1/2 cups jello mix is the powder with the water right?

I want to make a lemon cake for my DH (he loves lemon bars, so I thought I'd try a cake). I do not like lemon cake, so I can't judge anything.

Thanks!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 4:03pm
post #13 of 15

In this past issue of American Cake Decorating, they published a "Cool Lemon Supreme Cake" recipe that sounds delicious! It is from scratch though! I plan to make it for my DH..if you are interested, I will post the recipe!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 4:09pm
post #14 of 15

I am interested MrsMissey! I like making scratch when I can and if it's good and moist. icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 2 Aug 2005 , 4:35pm
post #15 of 15

..oops! The correct name is Cool Lemon Sponge Cake:

Here it goes!

1-1/2 c. egg whites (about 10)
2-1/2 ts. Cream of tartar
1/2 ts. salt
2 c. sugar
2 c. Softasilk cake flour
1 Tb. grated lemon peel
3/4 c. egg yolks (about 10)
1/3 c. water
3 Tb. lemon juice
Lemon topping

Heat oven 325*. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually beat in 1 cup of sugar, 2 Tb. at a time, until stiff peaks form, then set aside. Mix the remaining 1 c. sugar, flour and lemon peel in large bowl. Set aside.

Beat yolks in a medium bowl on medium speed for 2 minutes. Beat in the water and lemon juice. Beat egg yolk mixture into flour mixture. Gradually fold in egg white mixture, using a rubber spatula. Pour into an ungreased angel food cake pan (tube) 10 x 4 inches. Cut gently through batter with a metal spatula or knife to break air pockets.

Bake about 1 hour or until cracks feel dry and top springs back when touched lightly Immediately turn upside down onto a heatproof funnel or bottle. Let cake hang about 2 hours or until it is completely cool. Loosen side of cake with knife, then remove from pan. Frost sides and top with Lemon Topping. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.

Lemon Topping
1 pk (4 serving size) lemon instant pudding and pie filling mix
1 container (12 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed *

Gradually stir dry pudding mix into whipped topping until blended. Beat mixture in a medium bowl on medium speed until stiff.

*1 C. heavy whipping cream may be substituted for the whipped topping

If you get around to making it before me, let me know how it turns out!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%