How Moist Is Too Moist When It Comes To Cake???

Decorating By birdgirl Updated 7 Jul 2007 , 12:57pm by -Tubbs

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 12:32am
post #1 of 3

I have a recipe for a carrot cake that is really moist--not wet and gummy just really moist. I entered it in a contest and one of the judges felt it was not done. It tested done in both using a toothpick, edges pulling from side of the pan and when pressing it in it didn't stay down it sprang up. It used the juice from the pineapple instead of water so it has a little bit of a sweet taste. No one has ever complained about it being "wet" or not done. They served it at a fundraising function afterwards and no one complained there either. Is it possible to have a really moist cake or should I pitch the recipe and go back to a dry version??

This cake has pecans, coconut, crushed pineapple in it as well all the basics so it is very dense as well.

2 replies
pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 2:49am
post #2 of 3

It's been my experience that no matter how hard you try, you can't please all the people all of the time. Try as you might sometimes there will be person who is not happy. Whether it's the cake is too moist, or too dry or the frosting is too sweet or the design isn't right or whatever.

I never thought that a cake could be too moist icon_biggrin.gif and the recipe sounds extra yummy! What did the other judges have to say? Everyone else seemed fine with the cake and that's what I think you should focus on. Everyone's taste bud are different and maybe this person dosn't have any... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 3

Sounds perfectly delicious to me. I love moist cakes!

Judging cake (or any other food/design type) contests is tricky because everyone has such different tastes. I'm sure you're upset that the judge thought your cake wasn't done, but if you're happy with it, and there were no other complaints I wouldn't worry too much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%