Couple Of Questions.....and The Reason I'm Asking {Long}

Decorating By jwm296 Updated 28 Aug 2006 , 5:30am by moydear77

jwm296 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwm296 Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 9

I've got a couple of questions for those that have been doing cakes for a while.
First, Cake toppers..... When doing a wedding or anniversary cake, Do you supply the cake topper, or do you have whoever is ordering the cake bring it to you ? The reason I ask is because I recently did a cake for a couple who were on a very limited budget and were having an un-conventional wedding and reception They're both into motorcyles and requested a bride and groom on a motorcycle if I could find one. The cake was 2 11x15's double layer, side by side , one white, one chocolate, basket weave sides, shell border smooth top withn the topper, delivered about 5 minutes away. I hunted around and the closest topper i could find was a motorcyle on a stand with a frilly heart in back of it. I also purchased a bride and groom to stand in front of it. I only charged them $150 for everything. In all honesty I probably spent $30 just in gas alone hunting for a topper. I'm thinking that from now on, i'll just have them pick out a topper and bring it to me. Am i wrong in feeling this way ?

Second, How do you handle the Last minute customers from hell {lol} My wife and I both have full time jobs, but do cakes and chocolates on the side from our home. Our business cards have both our home and cell phone numbers on them. I'm a truck driver and usually gone a few days at a time. A customer who we had done a couple of cakes for in the past called me at 10:45 one night wanting a cake for the next morning. { i think she'd had a few drinks} She starts telling me her life story and how she really needs this cake tomorow morning. I tried as polite as i could to tell her that i'm 500 miles away and there's no way my wife is going to have a cake done by the morning. I told her to call my wife in the morning and we'd try to help her out as best that we can. The conversation ends..........so I thought. She calls me back 10 minutes later and says my wife isn't answering her phone so she'll just tell me what she wants. Then she tells me she wants it delivered and {this is the best part} she's going to give me a post-dated check which i'll have to hold for 2 weeks. I told her to call me in the morning. When she called back I told her we were really over-booked with cakes to do but if she wanted to come by and drop off the check we'd be able to do a nice cake for her in about 2 weeks. My wife says that i should have just said NO WAY!!! and please don't call back. How would you have handled it ??

8 replies
tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 9

Wow, the cake toppers I have used have come form the customer so I am not much help. I would suggest they supply one or you charge them for one you can by locally/order and be sure to account for your time looking for it! As far as the lady who called I would have also told her if she wants to place an order for a cake in a timely manner you will be happy to do it but only accept CASH! Especially if she wanted you to hold the check for 2 weeks, sounds like a potential BAD situation! Last minute orders usually cost a bit more from me, I have to rearrange my schedule for it so they need to realize that! It is your business so you have the right to refuse an order! Good luck and drive safe!~
Tracy

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 9

I've never done a wedding cake. I know fror my wedding cake, I supplied my own. I thought that is what you were supposed to do. You could keep some basics on hand and if they don't want those then they could get their own. I bought my cake topper and unity candle together so they matched. Plus, I thought most people wanted it for a keepsake. I had mine displayed forever with my unity candle in a book case. Then, we moved.....uhh it's in a box now. =( lol

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 9

Wow...are you kidding me??? icon_surprised.gif

As far as cake toppers, they are to either supply me with one the week of the wedding that they have found and purchased, or if I order one for them they pay cost of topper, plus tax, plus shipping and handling. I am out no money...I guess you could say I am just the middle man on that!

And regarding your cake client, your wife was right on that one! NO WAY!! A favorite saying of my husband's and mine is: "Poor planning on your part does not create crisis on my part!" We have gotten so good at living by that...it helps me get out of awkward situations. I use to feel so bad for people and guilty if I couldn't help them out. I've grown in that if it works out, great...if it doesn't, I have to just be honest and tell them. It made the stress level go way down for me!

Honestly, you don't want cake clients like that...they are usually the one that don't really appreciate what you do for them anyway!

bonniesido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniesido Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 9

To my knowledge the client always supplies the topper with the exception being when it is handmade from gumpaste. Those are my favorites because I love making gumpaste flower arrangements. If you do make the topper don't forget to charge for it too!!!!

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 9

I like how you handled the client from hell. "drop off the check and we'll have a nice cake for you in two weeks." That's a nice and polite way of saying "when I have my money, you will have your cake."

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 1:35am
post #7 of 9

I always make sure my brides know they are providing the cake topper, be it a bride/groom couple, real or silk florals. I tell them they can leave it at the reception hall, on the cake table and I will take care of it when I set up the cake. OR...... I have a couple of generic ones that they are welcome to "borrow". It's actually on my order forms where it's coming from..... "Topper provided by Bride" or "Topper to be loaned from CIS". Some brides have no interest in keeping the cake topper for years anymore, so a borrowed one works fine with them. Since I stay and cut the cake, there's no problem getting my topper back. Plus have you seen the price of those things lately????? Holy Moly! No wonder more of my brides are going for florals!

I had one exception but it was for my nephew's Harley Davison themed wedding. I told him I would take care of the toppers for him (see motorcycle wedding cake on my website). I also helped one bride find a particular topper but that entailed me scanning the internet and emailing her the website that I found it on, so she could check it out and make the final decision/purchase.

re: your crazy lady customer..... It's amazing how disrespectful people can be! First thing I would do is remove your home number from your biz card. My website and my cards have my cell "business" number only. It's how I keep my personal and business life separate. I realize that wouldn't have stopped your crazy lady from calling you at 10:30 p.m., but at least you can narrow down where they are going to call and filter those calls. Would she have thought it was ok to call you at midnight? 2 in the morning? Where does she draw the line?????

If my cell phone rings after 8:00 p.m., if it's not a kid or a husband, it goes to voicemail for a return call the next day....... just like a "real" (sarcasm intended! icon_twisted.gif) business!

And I LUV'd the idea of "send me your check and we can have it ready in two weeks!" hahahahaha! Genius!

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 5:20am
post #8 of 9

I have customer supply the topper. But if they do not have one I have 3 they can chose from to borrow. They came from the Dollar Tree so if it's not returned I'm not out a whole lot of money.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 5:30am
post #9 of 9

I am sorry but I hate cake toppers. Everyone one my clients who want a cake topper do realize that it does not go with every design. I did a WHIMSICAL cake once and they brought in this swishy bride and groom dancing thing and it was just aweful looking! But they provide the topper. As far as post dated checks no way in heck would I ever consider this. Any wedding I do all checks must be cleared prior to the wedding date. And even if I wanted to I would never take a order the night before. CRAZY!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%