Writing W/ 2 Colors

Decorating By awolf24 Updated 6 Jul 2007 , 8:01pm by awolf24

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 7

For those of you who write on a cake in BC, then overwrite in another color for that look of both colors, what # tips do you usually use? I usually only write with one color (pin prick method) and use a #2 tip.

Should I use maybe a #3 for the bottom color then a #2 for the top color? I'll be using black under, then overwriting with red for a grad cake. It is a 12 x 18 half sheet so my lettering will be on the larger side.

Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 7

I have used a small (!) star tip for the base, then go over it with a #2 or #3 tip.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 7

I usually write with a 3 on bottom then either a 2 or on top.

awolf24 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 7

Great - thanks for the "tips"! icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 7

I usually do the bottom with tip 3 and the top with tip 2. Remember to make your bottom letters fairly close together so the thinner top letters are spaced correctly.

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 7

What is the pin prick method?

awolf24 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 7

DianeLM - good idea on the spacing! Hmmm...not sure how I'll work that out with the pin prick method...

dogluvr - The pin prick method is great for writing text on crusting buttercream (but it does NOT work on icing that does not crust). I print out my message on the computer in whatever size and font I want on the cake. Then you trace the lettering with pin pricks (I use a corkboard tack or safety pin or whatever) and you get a pattern of raised dots on the backside of the paper. Then I cut out each word, lay it on the cake after the icing has crusted (very important) and lightly rub my finger over the words. This leaves a pattern of dots on the cake that you can just trace over.

I cannot write freehand at all on cakes and this works really well for me. I used to hate taking my time to decorate, etc. and try to make the cake look nice, clean and "professional" - only to mess it up with my sloppy freehand writing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%