Need Sheet Cake Help Please.....

Decorating By deepthi Updated 6 Jul 2007 , 3:25pm by deepthi

deepthi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deepthi Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 9

Hi CCers

I need to make a full sheet cake for tomorrow and I already baked 4 (9*12) cakes on the advice of some fellow CCers (Thank you guys)

I have a small oven and hence cannot bake a full sheet cake at once.

Can I just add some icing in between the cakes and attach them? I am scared that the cakes might come apart.
Did anyone do something like this before?

Can someone please help me in this regard?

TIA

8 replies
momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 9

I don't add icing in between the cakes. I just push them together and I've never had a problem. If they are set on individual boards you will want to secure the boards on the large board with a little icing.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 9

This is often done...most of us don't have big ovens that can accommodate a full sheet sized pan.
Just "glue" the pieces together with frosting. Sometimes, I've even dabbed some frosting on the plate under the pieces so there is no shifting (but that's just me).
The most important thing, really, is to have everything on a very sturdy board so nothing moves when it's picked up. If the cardboard buckles, then the icing will crack on top. (So I've heard! icon_wink.gif )

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 9

I agree with momg9. You don't need to put icing between the cakes. Just make sure you assemble this cake on a VERY STURDY board. No flexing at all, or your seams will show and your icing will crack.

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 9

I just did a full sheet cake last month and I didn't put icing between the cakes, just pushed them as close to each other as I could. I also used a masonite board so there was no shifting and it turned out just fine after delivery. It's the 50th anniversary cake in my pictures.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 9

3/4 inch foamcore is recommended for the board (or several layers of thinner foamcore glued together)

foamcore is much more stable and less likely to crack.

I also glue the pieces both down to the board with a big dollop of BC

tho' I don't glue them to each other w/ BC -- just smoosh together tightly

(did see on one cake challenge they used melted chocolate to glue parts together)

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 9

You shouldn't need to frost inbetween, just make sure to push your cakes together tight. Otherwise you will have a dent where the cakes meet.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 9

Make sure that your cakes are leveled to the same height, put them on a VERY sturdy board close together and ice them as one. I've done it before and it works fine.

deepthi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deepthi Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 3:25pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all for the suggestions..

When you say foamcores or masonite..will you get it in the 18*24 size at the office supplies store?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%