Does This Sound Like It Would Work?

Decorating By MrsMom Updated 6 Jul 2007 , 1:10am by MrsMom

MrsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMom Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:27am
post #1 of 4

I'm still waiting for the cake to cool so I can test it, but I'm a little worried about my cake. It's the first time I tried the extender recipe. I have been adding an extra egg and pudding but today I tried the extender (slightly modified). This is what I did:

2 boxes cake mix
2 2/3 cups water (each recipe calls for 1 1/3)
2/3 cup water (each calls for 1/3)
8 eggs
2 cups flour
16oz lowfat vanilla yogurt
1 1/2 cups sugar (cut back because of the vanilla yogurt)
1/2 tsp salt
2 boxes pudding

It seemed pretty dense when I touched it, but I don't know if it's *too* dense or dry. Does it sound OK? I baked it at 325 for 55 min. (for an 11x15)

3 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:32am
post #2 of 4

I think maybe you shouldnt have added the flour and the pudding.. PLEASE someone correct me if i'm wrong.. But arent they either or / added to a cake mix for a more dense like cake? Although, I cant wait to hear what your cake taste like..

How many inches is it? I always seem to stick to my 11 x 15 cake pan VS all the others I have..

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:01am
post #3 of 4

I assume you meant 2/3 C oil..........I use the extender recipe all the time but use the sour cream instead of the yogurt. Made this recipe 3 times today doing a wedding cake in fact! I have never added the pudding. Let us know how it turned out. icon_biggrin.gif

Diane

MrsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMom Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:10am
post #4 of 4

Indeed, I did mean 2/3 cup OIL. Well, I haven't tasted the cake yet, but I just had a cupcake (I had too much batter so I baked them off) and it wasn't dry at all! It was fairly dense, but not dry. It was a bit sweet, though...next time I would probably cut the sugar down to 1 cup if I'm adding the pudding. I added it today because I love my butterscotch cakes (butterscotch pudding in yellow cake). I also added cinnamon...yum! I'll let you know how the cake comes out.

Then again, I'm not sure how different the texture is from adding just the pudding and an extra egg (and requires more time). Anyone else?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%