Powder Sugar On My Fondant!

Decorating By sunkiss Updated 27 Aug 2006 , 1:43pm by Crimsicle

sunkiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunkiss Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 11

I have a cake coverd in red fondant (took forever to get the color right) but when I roll it out and put it on the cake I have the sugar all over it. How do I get all the sugar off without killing the cake? ( I've already tried brushing is off with my hands).... also if the fondant is a little dry (small crack) in an area, is there a way to fix that?

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 11

Dust it with a soft brush then paint it with clear vanilla extract or vodka.It will take the powder away!

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you! I needed to know this too!

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 11

kiddiekakes, will this make the fondant shiny or will it evaporate and look matte??

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 11

It will look shiny at first but then it evaporates and goes matte.

vande3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vande3boys Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 11

For the cracks I rub a little white shorning over it with my fingers and smooth out te cracks or the dry edges. it works on any color and it has always gone back to a matt finish for me. GL

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 11

Oh I love you guys! Thanks!

fantasy_art Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fantasy_art Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 6:28am
post #8 of 11

I have a recommendation if you want it to be shiny. Make a mixture of 3 parts vodka to 2 parts cornsyrup. Brush it on and wait for the vodka to evaporate. Be careful though. You dont want to leave any fingerprints. Not that your delicious cake is gonna last long at all icon_biggrin.gif , but it will retain its shiny appearance for about a week.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 7:08am
post #9 of 11

A wonderful CC'er (unfortunately, I can't remember her name ... sorry!) recently suggested that instead of using powdered sugar to roll out colored (or white, for that matter) fondant, use a thin layer of Crisco instead. Then, you don't have to worry about the white spots of sugar left on the fondant. I tried it recently, and by golly, it worked!! I'll never use powdered sugar again! icon_smile.gif

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 7:14am
post #10 of 11

If you just let the cake stand by the following day every trace of the powdered sugar will have vanished.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 1:43pm
post #11 of 11

I roll mine out on a sheet of vinyl (bought by the yard at Walmart), on which I've spread a VERY thin coating of Crisco. Makes a lovely finish. No powdery mess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%